New Member: Emily Nox, St. Louis area, US

Hey all! My name’s Emily, sometimes Em. I’m from the St. Louis area. I’ve been experimenting with these techniques ever since Moonwalking with Einstein came out, which I bought pretty much at publication.

I was interested in the different memory competition categories, but over the years I’ve become obsessed by only one thing: how to memorize poetry. I’m introducing myself now, even though I’ve followed this site for years, because I’m about to start on a big project and I’d like the accountability that will come by getting involved here.

The technique I’ve gradually developed since Moonwalking is to map lines of poetry onto artwork, movies, and tv shows. I find those images and the sequence of a moving picture especially works better for me than trying to find the huge number of “real” physical places I would need for mapping all of Paradise Lost (part of my project now).

I’ve gotten to where I make spreadsheets calculating down to fractions of seconds where the lines of a poem will land “on” a movie. It has worked well for me with shorter things. Now my goal is this:

I want to map all of Dante’s Commedia, all of Paradise Lost, some other work by Milton, and all of Beowulf, all in the original languages, onto the 3 currently existing seasons of my favorite TV show, True Detective.

I can’t talk about this anywhere else because I immediately sound full of myself talking about these plans, but I’m hoping here I’ll be around others who are just obsessed and fascinated by memorizing.

So. Hello! I’m looking forward to hearing about everyone else’s ideas.

2 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Sounds absolutely fascinating. You do of course realise that Verbatim is really problematic for human beings? So, if you have a method that works (and it seems you do), we’d all love to hear about it in much more detail - why don’t you publish a Journal?

I think everyone would be indebted to you for more info on this technique, as far as I am aware there’s little on this. To bolster you I have mapped out ‘methods’ (not verbatim scripts just methods, like work on paper… permanent character in each loci etc) from a novel I know well - it’s a psychological thriller where a lady ten years after having her baby son stolen from her car finds a letter on her porch which reads “I KNOW WHERE HE IS”… it works well as the locations are linked to the (easy) plot. But yours sounds so much more … intricate.

Welcome to the forum.
regards from Glasgow, Scotland.
K

That’s interesting. Are you trying to remember plot-points from the novel instead of word-by-word passages?

I am working on verbatim memorizing. Maybe it’s just that for me, if I’m going to do work with poetry, the word-by-word level is the most important thing. So I really want to know the poetry down to the syllable.

I’ve done some work memorizing Homer in Greek, and the long lines have a built-in mnemonic system because they weren’t originally written down. They were constructed for maximum “memorizability” to begin with. So when I memorize poetry I feel like I’m using a tool in the way it was mean to be used, if that makes sense.

The reason I use loci is simply because of how much poetry I’m trying to learn. I need all the help I can get, and placing line-by-line in a loci system has worked best for me.

I’ll take a look at the journal option. I didn’t know about that.

I am actually using the locations and the characters of the novel to encode other information unrelated to the plot. (Hope you’ve heard of Hamlet if not this next bit will sound a bit weird) It is as if instead of Act 1 Scene 1 of “Hamlet” instead of spying a ghostly apparition of a murdered king, the two guardsmen see a symbolic representation of the Fundamental Theorum of Calculus (or twelve words of German Vocabulary, or the Spanish word for Bee Hive i.e. any info you want to encode).

For verbatim as you wish to do - I am no expert - the best lesson I ever saw and had success with was from Nelson Dellis:

How to memorize lines instantly (seriously)
I found it interesting - though a bit over hyped…

As for the journal - that’s a great idea - keeping a journal has helped me immensely to have some modest success in this memory area…

K

Take Care K

Welcom :slight_smile:
You can check the link to see if that can help you memorising verbatim using word substitute and loci.

You. An also ise this website
https://memorizer.me/