New Member: Dyami, Upstate New York

Hi everyone,

I’m a soon-to-be grad student in linguistics, with a focus on rhetoric and oral literature in indigenous American cultures. I’ve been casually interested in mnemonics for about 7 or 8 years now, but am now starting to seriously get back into it after discovering Lynne Kelly’s work, with its obvious connections to my field.

I’m interested especially in indigenous physical or graphical memory devices, like lukasas. Through one side of my family I’m a Haudenosaunee descendant, and I’m familiar with that culture’s use of wampum belts as aids for oral record-keeping. The idea that the notae of the Ars Notoria originated as graphical mnemonics is very intriguing to me. I’d like to try developing my own system like that at some point.

I also like to memorize poetry. I don’t use any special techniques for this, other than trying to visualize the imagery of the poem very strongly as I rehearse it. I mostly do shorter poems, but lately, when I’ve had time to spare, I’ve been working my way through the first book of Paradise Lost.

Finally, I’m also interested in Llull’s combinatoric wheels, which I’ve heard are more aids to thinking or (discursive) meditation than mnemonics. I still have a lot to explore there, but it looks very interesting.

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

You might be interested in this thread: Verbatim tips for a complete beginner?

Here are some more links, in case you haven’t found them already:

1 Like

Thank you! Those links are great. I did find some of them already, but not all. Your post about Bruno’s combinatoric wheel from De Monade Numero et Figura is especially interesting. I recently ordered Greer’s translation of De Umbris Idearum and am excited to do some exploring there. I’ll have to check out De Monade one of these days.

1 Like