New member - Boyka

Hello,
Iam a student in India and Iam learning traditional Indian medicine called Ayurveda, and I found these memory techniques in 2016 march 8, from Dominic O’Brians book “how to have an amazing memory” and I was impressed by those.
Later then I was really planning about a longterm memory palace that includes the entire chapters of Ashtanga hrudaya and other major concepts of Ayurveda. But it still remains as a dream.
I was stuck in between the proper execution of these methods and there was no other sources to clear my doubts in those days. And still I was using these just for my acadamic examinations, with as less effective,despite of the amazing power of these methods and was dreaming of effectively using this as practically beneficial in daily life.
And Iam fed-up with this and I really wanna improve by working on my fundamental doubts and need to successfully implement adavnced techniques too,with these wonderful ideas.
And I have some serious trouble with mental calculations that Iam struggling in a daily basis, even at a grocery store😬, and I haven’t take any action to make it different, and for the first-time in my life Iam going to work on it.
From the beginning of this month itself, I was thinking about this seriously and was searching about- good books to read about memorizing methods etc and eventually I found this forum and really excited to learn more.

6 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

If you haven’t seen them yet, here are some getting started links:

4 Likes

Hey Vaidya, I have no idea if I chanced upon your post by fate or algorithms matched us. I have memorized first chapter of Astang Hridayam. I have been using this techniques for sometime and am looking forward to joining with you to memorise Ayurveda.

2 Likes

Hai, actually am bit surprised by seeing this comment, and yes, it would be awesome if we discuss Ayurveda with memory methods!

2 Likes

I could score much better and faster in this viman 3, which I had placed in a memory palace . Which year are you in? Are you preparing for MD?

1 Like

Iam a bams student still not completed UG, just attended salya,shalakya supplementary exams earlier this month. And I like to prepare for MD after completion.
Can you explain what you did there in detail?
Each palace for each samhitas OR each palace for each chapter?
Can u reproduce it as slokas as it is OR just as facts?
As I said earlier in intro, my first plan is to remember complete Ashtanga hrudaya, for that am thinking about 120 palaces for each chapter and then adding contents as key images in an orderly manner. (Problem is that I only have maximum 25 memory palaces that i have sorted in an orderly manner, and now am reading different posts on forum, researching memory books etc… to solve this) Do you have any better idea than this?

Along with this i like to practice traditional sloka reciting method which will help to recollect it as slokas itself not just as facts.
( I really like traditional sloka reciting method and I’ve memorized first few chapters of A.Hr using that, and eventhough it is super effective, it need much more time to memorize, compared with these memory methods.)
So actually I like to combine traditional method with these memory methods, I think it would be super effective.

1 Like

I have had exactly the same doubts as you, about creating 120 memory palaces. Although I am not a expert yet, let’s try to do this together. This is a line from Joshua Foers book -
" The question of how best to memorize a piece of text, or a speech, has vexed mnemonists for millennia. The earliest memory treatises described two types of recollection: memoria rerum and memoria verborum "
I agree to the Astanga Hridayam, recitation and combining these ancient form of recitation with memory palaces was always there I believe. I had some chats with Anthony Metevier over this topic. So, to sum it up , I am doing only contents for Charak and Verborum for Astanga. I too had supple and they don’t matter in your long term career rather they give you a chance to introspect within yourself😄. You can YouTube search my name of me recording of Astang Hridayam ch 1.

1 Like

I do memorise page no and Shloka numbers , using peg . It’s make it easier to recall and make that information stick. If you a beginner you can first master the peg (major system)( I have a video of it too in my YouTube) . Feel free to ask details to any such method. It’s nice to have found someone from my field in this forum. I am following Anythony Metevier’s website and YouTube for book memorization. I can’t send url here.

1 Like

That was really informative, and will definitely check your YouTube channel.

Iam using Dominic system for numbers and have 00-99 PAO.( I was introduced to Dominic O’Brians book first and dominic system was easier for me. Later then, I read Major system but it felt more difficult)
And am planning a 100-999 PAO, I think we can use PAO or more extened version of PAO for remembering dravya too with their rasa,guna,veerya,vipaka,prabhava etc…

The one thing I did with memory palace methods is, later year for Roganidana exam, I placed each location for each disease and remembered nidana,samprapti,poorvaroopa,roopa, and complications using memory methods (not as perfect) and it helped me to pass exam. But because of not reviewing it later and lack of proper connections, it faded.
But now to I need to remember this not only for just exams but also for becoming a good vaidya.
Now am reading books of Tony buzan and discussions in this forum for better ideas.
And thank you brother for your kind support and valuable recommendations, really looking forward for interesting discussions!!

Wow, I could relate with putting entire कर्ण शूल information on :ear: ear itself. Have done such too, but yes it was short term. Anki software can be experimented . I made anki cards for Parikh book comparative study.
About Dravyaguna- rasa, virya, vipak
And Dominic system ( I have just read about it not yet practiced), let’s make a standard. If it can be used for playing cards memorising, definitely assigning , madhur ras as 1, Amla as 2 can be experimented. Go ahead and teach me too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::pray:

1 Like

I have sent you facebook request. Please check.

1 Like

accepted👍🏻
actually am not active in any social medias, now a days i visit memory forum more often, so i think its better we discuss here😊

Have you heard about Katapayadi system? I have seen some discussions about it here and amazed!!
I have heard about it before, but i thought it was something related to carnatic music or mathematics etc. But actually its like an Indian version of major system. Now am searching for more resources to learn more about it. Help me with your ideas🙂

1 Like

Yes , I too thought on these lines some time back! Like accurate pi number was written in terms of poem… I heard this first from Khurshed Batliwala of Art Of Living organisation. See 9:00 mins. Technology of Spirituality - Full Version - YouTube

1 Like

This is what I found on Wikipedia. Share the links which you have found.

1 Like