New Member: Bethany, Indiana

Hi everyone! My name is Bethany and I’m from Indiana, USA. I’m a graduate student starting at Emory University in the fall.

I started using the method of loci to memorize class materials in high school. I don’t like taking notes in class (I have ADHD so it’s hard) and in college I’ve used mnemonics to make mental notes during lectures. I’ve never really developed an organized system, though. Now, I want to develop more skills for storing useful information. I’m not that interested in memorizing playing cards or random numbers, but I do want to be able to memorize literature, learn new languages, and remember information relevant to my field.

I’ve started learning the Major System so that I can better remember dates, but I’m not sure if that’s the best way to reach my goals. If anyone has input or similar interests, feel free to reach out. Otherwise, I just wanted to dip my toes into the forums after lurking for a while.

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

I think that you can’t go wrong with the Major System for numbers.

What kind of literature do you want to remember?

Thanks!

I’m interested in memorizing poetry and maybe interesting lines from books. I’m not looking to memorize an entire book, but I would like to memorize longish poetry.

1 Like

Welcome to the memory community. I am actually intressted to hear about your experience memorizing when you have ADHD, I have never heard anyone else doing it before.
In terms of memorizing in general, you want to keep improving your visuallization abillity, so you will become better and better at memorizing. You should consider training Words and Names. Names are very useful in general and words will train your loci’s and at the same time come up with things to memorize words at.

In the same boat with ADHD. Mine in particular affects my working memory so being able to encode information by “chunking” is one effective strategy. I tried this technique for learning a paragragh and memorized it in roughly 5 mins, it works pretty good..

Hope that helps.