New Member, ApostleOfSimonides

Hello!
New to this forum, but been using mnemonic techniques for over six years. I
This last year I’ve been teaching memory techniques to university students, to kids in schools (12-15 year olds). It’s going great and I can see how useful it’s been, especially for the kids, and I’ve started to write

2 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very interesting. What are the contents do you teach to the uni students?
and the kids at 12-15 years?

I’ve got some experience in this myself with the students at a uni. It would be good to learn and share.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

(Accidentally created two of these topics, but thin one was incomplete. Supposed to add this):

What I’ve noticed along the way is that there is not enough solid terminology for explaining the different aspects of visualisation, creating and choosing mental images, the skills needed to memorize (like association, assertiveness when picking images, understanding of how to map correctly etc.).

I want to develop this vocabulary.

What I need
I need tips on any scientific or semi-scientific articles that deal with the matter of mnemonic techniques, but NOT from a neurological perspective.

If you know any good articles, books or any tips, please write them here!

But to answer your question;
Essentially the basics of the loci method (mentally mapping an area and taking mental walks), and the process of memorizing. I start out by explaining how the memory works (I usually say it’s “like a net, with each knot being a piece of information we are familiar with, making the net stronger, and unfamiliar information being knots you have to tie into the net by connecting them to other knots (i.e. things you know)”).

Then I usually explain the process of memorizing like this:

Map the area - pick specific places along the way you walk
Associate - make associations to whatever information you want to remember.
Visualise - take 5 seconds to close your eyes and visualize how the image interacts with the surrounding environment.
Repeat - take a walk again.

And then I usually point to kids in the class and say a location and they’ll respond with the correct image or piece of information.

And that’s kind of how it works. I try to connect it to their other subjects when I can (like if thwy study extra languages) and get them to memorize glossary and grammatical rules. Hope I get more time to do that…

1 Like

thanks a lot
I am happy to be here

2 Likes

How did your teaching go?

1 Like

It was good, it was last year. I first test them to see their level, and introduce mnemonics and its uses in study and everyday life.

1 Like