New Member: Andrew, US

(Andrew Penton) #1

I’m Andrew, I’m a senior in high school right now. I got interested in memory techniques from a blog post by someone who was able to meet one of the GMM requirements in just a month (he had some prior training).

I started learning memory techniques a little out of order. I watched a video in which I learned a fictional, 20-loci palace and started using it along with a 10-location palace from my route to school. I’ve also developed a PAO system for 00-99 (major system) with great success, just yesterday I was able to memorize 59/60 digits with my only mistake in the encoding process.

My concern right now is finding new memory palaces, I can only think to create new ones at my house and school. Are there any suggestions for places I can use? (Other than video games, I don’t typically play them very much)

I don’t have any practical goal I want to accomplish, just to be able to perform feats and maybe compete one day. I also hope to join/start a memory club in university.

I’m looking forward to the new ideas I might learn from ArtOfMemory, I am most inclined towards math so I’ve spent time already learning how to square 2- and 3-digit numbers, find cube roots of perfect cubes up to 1,000,000, and the doomsday algorithm.

(Nicholas Mihaila) #2

Welcome to the forum, Andrew! I also have an interest in math. Out of curiosity, what method do you use for computing squares?

Welcome @8787943

if you’re interested, I’ve just posted something on different approaches to mentally square 2-digit numbers:

(Andrew Penton) #4

I use a technique which I believe is used by Arthur Benjamin. Given a 2-digit number, say 23, I find the closest multiple of ten (20 in this case). Going down 3 to twenty, you must also go up 3 to 26. Now the multiplication is 20 * 26, then add the distance traveled (3) squared. So the calculation is 23^2 = 20 * 26 + 3^2. Multiplying a two-digit number by a multiple of ten is considerably easy to do in your head, so I find this method rather nice.

If you’re interested, it works because x^2 = (x-a) * (x+a) + a^2.

I use a similar technique for calculating the squares of three-digit numbers, although it does take a little longer. For example, if I had 689 to calculate, I would do 700 * 678 + 11^2. This does ‘layer’ the computation because you have to calculate the 2-digit square, but I’m confident that I’ll become faster with practice.

A side note, when I do calculate three-digit squares I like to find the squared difference first and store it using a quick major system mnemonic, then retrieve it for my final addition at the end.

(Andrew Penton) #5

Very cool! I haven’t memorized all of the squares up to 25 yet but this looks like it could be considerably faster than what I’m doing after some practice.

(Nicholas Mihaila) #6

Oh yes, I’m familiar with the method. What you’re referring to is called “the difference of squares”, and with practice it can be very fast. If you’re looking to get faster at squaring 3-digit numbers though, I would recommend memorizing all 2-digit squares. You can also use your knowledge of squares to quickly compute many 2x2’s, particularly those that are close in value and have an even difference. For instance, 44 x 42 = 43^2 - 1^2 = 1848.

(c) #7

u can just use google map , few times look at places who are for u interesting who u haven’t seen , mayby somewhere in diffrent country and then after 3/4times look at this u 'll know it and can use them to ur romanian room

(Andrew Penton) #8

That was one of the first threads I saw on this forum, that’s completely fascinating to me and I’ll be sure to try it out. I have looked into Vedic maths for more calculation tricks but never long enough to retain and be able to apply the techniques unfortunately.

(Andrew Penton) #9

Thanks, I haven’t thought about that before! I’ll certainly give it a try.

Have a look at my other two replies right before the one you’ve read… cases 0 - 5 cover how to get to 25.