New Member: 41, Gene Laratonda, Pittsburgh PA USA - Bible Memory Mansion?

In the past week I have been searching for memorization techniques and low and behold I came across mnemotechnics.org. AMAZING! Method of Loci, Memory Palace, Roman Room, Journey Method, Peg systems, etc. HOLY MEMORY TECHNIQUES! 2500 year old techniques?!?! Thomas Aquinas used them. This is great!

I have become convinced that the Bible is reliable through manuscript, archaeological, prophetic, and statistical evidence. Due to this revelation it has become strikingly apparent through over 40 scriptures that the God of the Bible directly requires me to memorize and meditate on what is in it. Jesus himself, when tempted in the desert by Satan, only refuted him using memorized Scripture (see Matthew 4 and Luke 4).

I then found out this fact about the education of Galilee for a 1st century Jew:

Children began their study at age 4-5 in Beth Sefer (elementary school). The teaching focused primarily on the Torah, emphasizing both reading and writing Scripture. Large portions were memorized and it is likely that many students knew the entire Torah by memory by the time this level of education was finished.
This is my passion now even at age 41. My big goal is to memorize the entire 66 books of the Bible, my smaller goal is to memorize the 27 books of the New Testament, and my smallest goal is to memorize one book of the New Testament, the book of Luke with 24 chapters and 1151 verses. (see how many chapters and verses are in the Bible at http://www.deafmissions.com/tally/bkchptrvrs.html )

I became a member in hopes of learning to rediscover this ancient and amazing technique of the mind we have all been blessed with. We are all created in the image of God. We all have one thing in common, something that separates us from any living species on the planet… we can use our imaginations to visualize and that is the key to memorizing.

If you are not convinced there is a God, please know I’m not into shoving anything down anyone’s throat; this is just what I have been convinced to believe is the truth. I defend your right to believe whatever you want. If anyone wants to memorize the Bible, THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT.

Respectfully,
Gene

Books of the Bible

I’ve read through some of the threads on here searching for bible memory. Gary Lanier certainly has a system that works for him, and I will definitely be looking more into his method, but here is how I think I want to approach this:

Note: I’m using the English Standard Version (ESV) as seen at http://www.esvbible.org.

Using the Peg system I can easily memorize the books of the New Testament. Each book (27) is a house (perhaps a wing in a mansion). Here I guess I’m blending the Peg system and the Journey Method.

The book of Luke has 24 chapters (24 rooms).

Luke chapter 1 has 80 verses (80 objects) broken up into 7 sections (7 areas of the room):

1. Dedication to Theophilus
  2. Birth of John the Baptist Foretold
  3. Birth of Jesus Foretold
  4. Mary Visits Elizabeth
  5. Mary's Song of Praise: The Magnificat
  6. The Birth of John the Baptist
  7. Zechariah's Prophecy

The first section, the Dedication to Theophilus, has four verses, Luke 1:1-4:

1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, 2 just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, 3 it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught.

…which could be… a dead guy with the name Theophilus up against the door. I push the door open to get in[asmuch] to see an undertaker beside a pile of dirt. I dunno. Is this how this works?

Hey me, it’s me again. I’ve found a new resource that leaves off exactly where you did yesterday…

Ron White is a USA Memory Champion and made a 10 minute video that explains exactly what you and others like you are doing so well!

The whole video can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9xsDZCRbbM&feature=youtu.be

Skip to 5:33 to see his practical example using his room in his apartment.

The Bible, New Testament, Book of James in 1 month
15 minutes a day using mnemonics…

See the whole series at:
http://masterofmemory.com/james-course-march-1/

I’m curious. Why are some of the books in the image tilted? Is it because some interpret for example the book of Genesis as history as well as law?

Very impressive goal by the way. Tell us how it goes. Also, are you planning to memorize it verbatim, as in word for word? Or to be able to tell what happens?

Bateman

I dunno why some of the books are tilted. Good observation though. I plan on using this thread to keep you guys updated on the progress and to help other young Christians as a guide. I’d like to have it verbatim, but we’ll see. Just getting started! Excited!

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

Hey Gene,

To learn an overview of any book in the New Testament, I have some Quizlet sets that give all the topics of all the books of the NT. Here’s a link to the Luke set: http://quizlet.com/25559514/flashcards

42 = Luke (42nd chapter in the Bible as traditionally ordered). All of the topics are abbreviated, so “JHMwithWHonS” = “Jesus heals a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath.” Takes some time to get used to, but you can “star” certain flashcards and learn a few at a time.

I’ve used my own mnemonics to memorize them all. At this point, you can name any chapter of the New Testament and I can tell you what topics that chapter covers. I’d be happy to share my mnemonic approach to this if you’re interested.

-Timothy

Hi Gene,

It’s been a while since your last post, but I, too, would like to memorize the entire Bible using memory palaces. I’m wondering how your system has been working out for you, and if you might have any tips and advice to share?

Best,

Grace

(Werner Peters) #9

Timothy, are you still around? I see this is an old thread but what you describe is exactly what I would like to accomplish.

Hi there! I’m still around but not very active in the forums. I’d be happy to start an email exchange about what you’re referring to and offer any tips I can! Let me know.
[email protected]