New Member: 25y, Teo Kark, Greece, Medicine (want to become Psychiatrist)

Hi guys, I’m Teo Kark, from Athens, Greece, and I am glad I found this forum :slight_smile:
Actually I believe its the best way to recommit to training my memory.

I just finished University of Medicine of Ioannina and I am currently studying for the USMLE (Medical Exams - all Medicine subjects again, + in English, in order to get accepted for residency @USA)

My current best memory feat is nothing spectacular, I managed to memorize a deck of cards in about 10 minutes.
I found about Memory techniques from a recommendation ( i dont remember where ) of Joshua’s Foehr book - moonwalking w/ Einstein.

What I love about them most is that they make learning SO much more interesting, and engaging and effective.
I also love the creativity re-ignition - that creativity is so much more important than thought before, and these techs are the best to cultivate it.

My biggest challenge is that I try to memorize Biochemistry and I don’t know how to do it, where to start, what palace (or palaces, or WORLD) to create to put all these weird stuff, how to memorize all these names, their location, their use etc. Just so much info overload that makes me backslide all the time to the “just read these books like a normal person” mindset and it frustrates the hell out of me.

The biggest goal? Be able to visualize (and eventually memorize and speedread) the whole USMLE material (= the most important things of Medicine in english - I learned medicine in greek…)

I decided to become an ArtOfMemory.com Member (just found it from a LifeHacker post) bcz it seemed the best way to become more accountable, find more ppl with the same interests, reignite my passion about memory and learning, learn some more techniques or keep practicing what I know, and be able to rock this goal.

Nice to meet you, forum :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello, I am a medical student myself. I was wondering how did you apply memory palace to topics like abruptio placenta? How did you choose which palace was for which topic? What about subtopics? I would really like to hear back from you.

3 Likes

Hello! Good luck with the med school! I found the best memory palaces for all this information to be the book themselves. I tried to do it with a palace I generated from nothing, but it really sucked bcz I didnt know where to put each info, etc. But I found out I was already doing it with the book itself (remembering where you can find something on the book and at which specific place on the chapters/pages or through the Index etc).

If you think about it, the books are a giant map already with rooms (each double page) and bigger chunks (chapters) etc. So for me, a combination of books worked best - for USMLE the First Aid for step 1 contained everything in 1 huge map, and then in separate books each chapter for more details. But it needs understanding and visualization when you are reading, and a lot of notes on the books. And a lot of reps >.<

I find it harder on e-books (i need the feeling sensation, the weight, the “see how far I am in this brick of a book - physically”. It works amazingly on physical books.

Hope it helped!
Have persistence and patience!

2 Likes

Yes exactly. When using buildings as palace, I dont know what the hell am I doing!
One more doubt regarding using books as palaces. How do we picturise concepts? And when we have a lot of pages and similar diseases, how are we not confusing each other? Can you please explain the process in detail. Thanks

1 Like

My approach to memorizing abstractions is to turn them into imaginary concrete objects (if that’s not a contradiction). I might construct a fantasy scene, say a farm or a castle and fill it with strange beasts that embody the main concepts. I have no background in biology but I have done this for software concepts and other engineering/math ideas.

I draw these scenes. This really helps to implant it and gives you something you can go back to review. You don’t need any artistic skill. The quality of the drawing matters little. If you want nice pictures cut & past clip art. And I would urge doing it by hand rather than in software since this again give direct engagement.

Here is my effort at capturing a suite of software concepts. The whole thread is well worth reading.

https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/miniature-memory-palaces-including-your-palm/28864/137?u=zvuv

2 Likes