New member: 23y, Zach, UK

Howdy.

Thought I’d stick my head in since I want to get more involved in memory stuff, and it feels like I could use some help in which direction I should be going next.

I’ve reached the point where I can memorize a deck of cards in a few minutes with about 90% accuracy on the first pass, and then perfectly for a couple of days after that before things start to fade. I’m using a 30-point path, with two cards per loci. In my current system I’m using a single ‘thing’ for each card, with different classes of ‘thing’ for each suit - Hearts are people, Clubs are monsters and so on. Pairs are then memorized with the first object being dominant in relation to the second in some way.

I’m happy with this but I feel it needs extending and I’m not sure which route to take it in. My end goal is being able to use the tools to memorize results from mathematics - but these tend to take the form of abstract concepts and relationships that link them together rather than a list of things to memorize. Either way I think I need to expand my system and also start work on building more paths.

I was thinking of trying to use fully fictional paths - while they might be more hassle to construct I think that it might bring the luxury of being able to add position placeholders a lot more easily (e.g. a cue that I’ve reached the 10th/20th locus).

I have a few questions:

• How do you deal with the ghosts of former journeys? Sometimes I can feel myself remembering the pairs from previous runs, especially if it's done recently.
  • On the other end of the spectrum, how much difficulty do you have committing things to long-term memory? Right now I'm only shooting to keep things in there for a few days at a time, but I'm curious how readily things stick around when I have places to put them. I imagine you have to re-walk the path to check everything is still there every now and then.
  • Is there a reliable way to add nodes to a path? I feel like if I went through my current route I could easily double the number of loci without changing the journey itself (since it's based off reality), but in practice I tend to forget about the points that I've "added".

Thanks for all your help and glad to be here!

• 1 Like

I advise against using fictional paths. If you want to though, use video games, movies, or other media. Some of the memory folks here twist their journeys, contorting the distances and such to make it all balanced.

Position placeholders are good.

If you still want to use fictional paths, put them together from things you already know; that park there, with the store I used to go to next to it, next to which is my first apartment etc.

Questions

1. Time. Or you can switch inbetween different journeys, using each one maybe once or twice a day. Usually, if the images weren’t in huge detail, you can simply replace them with the new ones, and the old ones are forgotten.

2. Not much. I recommend keeping a review schedule. Mine is (roughly, I don’t keep it exactly): Memorize really quickly, review right away adding more detail. Review later in the day. Review the next day, 3 days after that, a week later, then a month. Works for me. By review, I just see the images, I don’t transcribe what they mean(at least not every time)

3. Placeholders would work to remind you. Or, when you make a new path you can fill it up with your images for 00-99(if you have those). Also, just practice. Always take the same route (forwards and backwards), looking at each place from the same angle each time. After using the journey maybe twice to memorize cards or digits, you will know where each locus is. Of course you still have to review that occasionally.

Welcome to the site.

Bateman

1 Like

Hey Zach!

I wish you a good time here!

A bit late, Zach, but hello from Texas!

Just to answer your question about “ghost” images appearing in your projections:
    In one of his books, Dominic O’Brien talks about having 6 standard paths just for the purpose of memorizing cards, and that he cycles through them each time he memorizes!

Hope this helps!