Need Help !!!

Hi,
I was searching for an answer to my question and landed here on this forum, I am in a serious need of help.
I am about to start learning this with Memory palace method but one thing which haunts me is the idea that I will run out of memory palaces eventually sooner or later and then I wouldn’t be able to learn/memorize more after that.
I know this is not true. But you know, I tried a small memorization example yesterday from Josh Foer’s Moonwalking with Einstein and I committed that in my memory palace ( my home and it is perfectly committed there. BUT it is just a practice question/thing I really don’t want to remember that random stuff and I feel like I have wasted a memory palace for that random stuff ( this idea is making me sick as I wanted to practice but I am THINKING THAT IF I PRACTICE MORE I WILL CONSUME EVERY MEMORY PALACE IN MY HEAD ). And after that when I move to more valuable thing to memorize there will be the unavailability of memory palace. AND THIS IDEA IS EATING ME UP AND I AM NOT MOVING ANY FORWARD. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

1. I wanted to know how to clear memory Palace ( if it is possible ).
  2. How the memory champions are practicing so much before their competitions ( really I want to know how they create so many memory palaces for each and every single practice session).
    Suppose, someone wanted to memorize a random deck of card ( or any small information just for practice and getting good at it. ) and he memorizes it completely in 5-6 mins. BUT this is not a good time so he goes for another round of practice with another random set of cards to reduce the time needed ( so my question is, the person used a memory palace earlier is now completely wasted because it was filled with random deck of previous practice session and now it is of no use ). If a person practices 80-90 time a day with an ambition to reduce the time taken and uses a random deck of cards every time, then he is wasting the 80-90 memory palaces for just practicing nothing more. ( I have calculated for a single day ).
    Please I wanted to come out of this problem ( or at least it is problematic in the way I am thinking about it.)
  1. it depends on what kind of information you’ve stored there. If it was just a deck of cards, going at a decent pace, and you only recalled it once then it will fade over the next couple of days. If you’ve place things in there (say the periodic table) that you’ve continuously recalled with spaced repetition, it won’t be easy if not to say impossible for the picture to fade.

2. With 12 palaces, you can do four rounds a day (two in the morning, two at night) for 3 days. Take a rest day and repeat. You could also try and do the journey forward and the next time backward, and then forward again on those 12 palaces.

Question:
How do you get to 80-90 rounds a day? It’s 5 mins memory and 5 mins recall; plus checking results plus shuffling again. That’s 15 minutes total, so 4 rounds a session… are you planning on practicing 20+ hours a day?

Even if you don’t want to follow competition timings and recall right after memorizing and check right after recalling… I doubt that you’ll get more than 10 decks into an hour… that’d be 2 mins memory, 2 mins recall, 2 mins for check and shuttle. That would still be 8+ hours a day.

2 Likes

Practice with things you actually want to memorize. No need to memorize examples in books, replace them with things you want to know and practice.

So that way you learn things you need while getting better at the same time

Well, actually our brain has a amazing erase system. For the things you don’t use it will be erased, else if you want to keep it you just have to recall it.

Um… If you are telling me you memorised something, then you are going to delete it. I feel a little confused why do you need to memorise it¿?

I think the best way for you is to create two loci, such that you can use it alternatively. If one is occupied, you might use another. Take some rest till your next Palace is ready, then you can cover it with new subject.

For me, I learnt basic meditation, I can set free my mind in just one minute. But I would tell you I can’t repetitive use a same MP more then 2 times within an hour.

There is an alternative way, for you to repetively memorise something by using Link Method (LM)!
I do use it most of my time, all you needed to do is find similarities or controversies about two objects. However, it is just like a random drafts, if you needed to arrange them in order peg it with your number list.

Might be suggestions are too demanding for you. But those are my past experience.

I think, I didn’t make it clearer for you t understand what I am saying ( sorry english is not native to me).
80-90 rounds is just for an example.
I will try to explain what I am saying :
Suppose : Person A started doing practice the memorizing techniques to get better at professional and personal front of life ( let keep it out of competitions ).
Person A started practicing with the tricks mentioned in the books/internet/forums etc, and then while practicing he started using MEMORY PALACE technique to memorize something ( something which is not important at all but because he is practicing the method/technique ).
And then he memorizes that stuff and he wanted to practice more so that he can learn the technique more efficiently. So he started memorizing something else random like decks of card. DONE.
then again different deck of cards and different deck of cards and it goes on.
BUT WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, DOESN’T IT COST A WHOLE MEMORY PALACE FOR EVERY TIME HE MEMORIZE THE NEW DECK OF CARDS OR NEW INFORMATION PER SE ???
What if all the memory places he has familiar with just got exhausted while he was just practicing and when he get to the real content. He was out of MEMORY PALACES to store info on.
(hope you got my point).

No it doesn’t… as explained above, you store the cards at a pace where the details will be just enough to recall. Also, you only recall the deck once and afterwards you start forgetting what you put on the route. After 3-4 days you can reuse the same route for another deck without issues. If you want to make really sure that images from 3-4 days ago don’t distract you then do the route backwards and then forward again 3-4 days later.

Memory palaces like the one above are reusable because you don’t revisit and revisit what’s in them. If you memorize the periodic table instead and you recall and recall and recall the information in the palace, the information will be much harder to forget; so that kind of palace is not that reusable.

Bottom line, no it doesn’t cost a whole memory palace for every time you memorize a new deck of cards, because you don’t want to store it long term. If you store something long term like the periodic table then yes, it will “cost” you that palace… but you want that information long term anyway.

1 Like

I only skimmed the OP, but I just wanted to interject that I wouldn’t try to clear memory palaces. That’s inefficient, and in the time it would take you to clear it (if you can), you could have easily just come up with a new memory palace.

Alex has some excellent videos on the topic. They address both of your questions. I’d check them out.

It sounds like you are creating a restless medicine, Bhupender?

This is one thing I can do.
I can start practicing using actually study material instead of non-usefull information.
Thanks for the wonderful advice.

Well, actually our brain has a amazing erase system.

Got this point. Okay I will see it with time.

Um… If you are telling me you memorised something, then you are going to delete it. I feel a little confused why do you need to memorise it¿?

Because I want to practice the memorization techniques.
Okay, take this point as example.
If I want to memorize a some text just to check how much I can memorize ( a type of self test ) or you can say type of practice run for the real scenario…
Let me simplify it even more, take example from a memory athletes scenarios, he/she is practicing for some competition which is about memorizing a deck of card with a speed as fast as possible.
So the athlete starts practicing with a randomly arranged deck of card, he memorized it. Let’s say in 15 minutes.
then he tries to improve his time next day, he again take random deck of cards and memorize that and this time he/she did it in 10 mins. And this repeats again and again.
And finally after days of practice he/she can memorize a deck of cards in 3 mins.
What I failed to understand is, How can he/she manages to forget about he previous practices he/she has done IN PRACTICE RUN.
From where he can generate so many memory palaces just for practice run.
I got your point of brain’s natural eraser. BUT still I am unable to understand how they manages to memorize fresh random deck of cards every single time they try to do it.
They had to forget the previous random deck so that they can memorize the new one right ? or at least they has to use the new Memory Palace for the new deck ? Right ?
That’s why I am asking, If I memorized something in practice run then how to forget those to make room for the useful memory.
OR maybe I am not understanding the whole idea about these technique.
I am sorry but I really wanted to know the answer.
That’s why I asked.

There is an alternative way, for you to repetively memorise something by using Link Method (LM)!

I don’t have much information about this method I will learn it and try it for sure.
Thanks for this advice.

If you want to make really sure that images from 3-4 days ago don’t distract you then do the route backwards and then forward again 3-4 days later.

This is one nice suggestion. I will try to implement it.
Thanks.

. If you store something long term like the periodic table then yes, it will “cost” you that palace… but you want that information long term anyway

Exactly, Actually I have started practice with some random stuff like to-do list and as expected I want to forget them but I am not able to. And I feels like I lost a memory palace in remembering a random to do list ( which is not even mine ), I did that for practice purpose and it stamped inside my brain like anything. :dizzy_face:

Alex has some excellent videos on the topic. They address both of your questions. I’d check them out.

I will watch all of them today evening, I am sure I will get to know something valuable.
Thank you so much.

It sounds like you are creating a restless medicine, Bhupender?

Sorry, but I didn’t get you :frowning:

• Once you memorised a deck of cards in one palace, leave that palace for a few days,
  • After a few days had passed, Walk the same palaces and See It As An Empty Palace in your mind, and maybe walk the journey again, and maybe again once more, and make sure you see it as it was before you memorised that deck a few days ago. You can do this with all your palaces. I do.

Thank you so much for your answer. I will definitely try it.

1 Like

That one is actually a bit tricky, not to say dangerous… might seem counterintuitive but that’s exactly how spaced repetition (SRS) works: recall again just as you are about to forget.

So if you do use this technique, make sure you move fast enough and don’t get temped to test your knowledge of the deck from a few days ago. If you manage to see the 3-4 day old image then it will be that much harder to get rid of it.

Personally, I think it’s easier to just trust your own forgetfulness and simply overwrite the locations with a new deck at that point. Chances are the new image will help you forget the old image in that location as it takes priority.

That said, it’s always trial and error… some things work for some people and other things don’t, so just see what works for you.

1 Like

hahaha…I am not sure about anything now…
Its funny and scary because I am not able to forget that to do list that I memorized 1 week ago.
Every time I think of that place even for a second that list populate my mind instantly…
Its awesome for the stuff I want to remember and it shows that this method works great. BUT, how to forget that to do list ( I memorize it from the book Moonwalking with Einstein ) which was just an example.
:joy: :joy: :joy: :thinking: confusing and funny at a same time.

1 Like

Just keep it as a souvenir and move on. :wink:

yes…hahahah,
but It took my fav memory palace.
And I am in dilemma to choose what to learn and which memory palace to use,
so that I can save the good ones for important stuff. :face_with_monocle: