Names Solitaire

Name Solitaire is a thread to learn common English names.
Like, Count to 1 million - #249 by Memorizer16.

I will take the lead with 3 examples. Please continue with the last character in previous name as the initial of the new name. In case there is so deadlock in a name like, X…? We can come back to the previous two name.
Note please use ctrl+F to ensure there is no duplicate names.

To break language barriers between countries, I will mainly use anagram and rhythm of English, preserving most characters of a name.

3 Likes

Aaron

Aaron rides on a roan.
(A roan is a horse that is red, black, or brown with a few white hairs.)

2 Likes

Neal

I heal Neal’s hand.

2 Likes

Larry

Larry plays his lark.

lark: a specie of bird.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there are many English names that start with Y. Maybe Yarrow?

1 Like

William -

Will i am ? (Or william shakespeare)

Or imagine will I am (superhero)

4 Likes

Mike

As the name suggests, Mike sings with a :microphone: .

2 Likes

Elizabeth - relate with queen elizabeth. (Example - she looks like elizabeth or wearing Elizabeth’s hat)

2 Likes

Harry
Harry Potter with his magic ward 🪄 .

2 Likes

Harry is hairy for me

2 Likes

Yasmine -

A: Princess refusing to eat rice/throwing uncooked rice around (eating it if had been Jasmine)
B: Disney princess Jasmine in the thinker-pose (as to ask “Why me” (why = Y))
C: Y.A.S mine (mining for designer cloths on a computer like cryptocurrency)

3 Likes

Emily

Emily smiley :blush:. Imagine her smile looks.

• picture from 《Emily In Paris》*

with a quote “Ignorance makes you arrogant.”
I with I can stay humble.

1 Like

So what’s the next name? :wink:

2 Likes

Tom and Jerry :mouse2:

2 Likes

I assume her name sounds like Merlin

2 Likes

He likes MrBin.

2 Likes

@Antelex

Y - Yvonne

I mostly relate them with my native language words so I don’t know is it helpful for eng. user too.

image_search_1621354514175

Yvonne (Australian actress)

Link : yauvan (meaning puberty in my native language)

So I relate puberty with yvonne (or relate with youth)

2 Likes

Hi guys. Does anyone know how to switch the language using in Names? Cuz literally I checked out the preference. I could switch to Spanish, Japanese and etc, but didn’t see an option of English.

2 Likes

@Ogabek Thanks for your support, and actually we are playing the solitaire game, the last character in the previous name, will be the first characters of the new name.
E.g.
Aaron → Neal → Larry → Yarrow → William →
Mike → Elizebeth
Harry → Yasmine → Emily → Yvonne

Jerry
Merle
Ben \

\ means broke the link.

@qhj4848168

2 Likes

Someone asked me why not use the Chinese language to memorise the names?
:grimacing:
There are two reasons.

1. Most of the names are based on the English translation. Like many people playing in their mother’s tongue :stuck_out_tongue:, replied some English translated names are really orchids. This case is common in different languages.
  • The only way, we can address it is by inviting the local mnemonic users to give feedback and do constantly updates.
  1. Typing in English words are much easier for me, it’s because the Chinese characters are complex compositions. There is a phenomenon that people forget how to write the correct characters and have the a very similar character, in terms of sound or shape. Results in my hand :writing_hand: writes my mouth :lips:. A local slang :joy:.

Thus, I think it’s much better to learn English names in HK, In addition, HongKongers call his friend’s Nickname are more common than address the full name of a person, some also considered it’s rude to call the person in full name. But it’s also feasible if u r close to someone, u can call his/her last name.

What’s the interesting name phenomenon in your home country?
Don’t be shy and share. :blush:

2 Likes