My first multitasking in memory

I have been inspired by Andrea Muzzi multitasking memory, so I decided to develop a method for multitasking by myself. In the video I shared with you I was looking at 10 random cards and at the same time heard 10 random digits at a rate of 2 seconds per digit and all was correct. Iโ€™m sorry for the language in the video but this is my first day of training multitasking so I had to keep my mind very sharp
Here is the link for the video

2 Likes

Iโ€™m trying to understand this video because of the language barrier.

Iโ€™m trying to understand the first and second part
In the first part you looked at the cards visually and I heard the English sounds.
In the second part you were blindfolded. Then you typed in 10 numbers to validate.

So is this two separate rounds of ten cards, one done visually and then auditorily?
Or is it two combined rounds of ten cards, and you are hearing one and seeing the other at almost same time, or interlaced one after the other?

Is it 20 cards total?
Are you putting those in different loci or pairing one from sound + one from visual in the same loci
Are you converting the seen number to a visual image and the heard number to a sound object (some people use memorable sounds instead of images in their memory palaces), or using visual images to store everything.

@comeon, thatโ€™s true Iโ€™ve read that thereโ€™s no multitasking, only โ€œsupertaskingโ€ โ€“ but Iโ€™ve personally noticed something special about switching between senses and also combining senses together in imagination is fascinating, and it could improve memorability/speed. Whatโ€™s cool here is not just combining senses in imagination but actually using the perceptual input from two different senses.

Also another thing I read about Kim Peek โ€“ he learned to use both his eye sockets to memorize books faster โ€“ and another thing I read about Rhesus monkeys in an MIT article was that they found their working memory was likely configured as 2+2, 2 โ€œslotsโ€ for the left brain/eye socket and 2 โ€œslotsโ€ for the right brain/eye socket. Food for thought.

With respect to reading, You mean widened eye span or sth along these lines? In the book โ€œSpeed reading with the right brainโ€ by David Butler he recommends visualizing what one wants to read in order to read faster, put aside whether itโ€™s the right hemisphere of brain responsible for visualization, as it is more of a catchy phrase to better sell the book.

1 Like

I was thinking more along the lines of, reading the book and hearing the audiobook at the same time.

Suppose you could put the audiobook at a multiplied speed โ€“ 2x? 3x? And then try to read/hear the words at the same time and visualize them. Just because of the perceptual input from two different senses, that could be amazing. Now imagine you could somehow write the words just as fast โ€“ you could be hearing, reading, moving, imagining, all at once!

That gets me started on an idea โ€“ map all the English words to some super-simple symbols so each word is just like, requiring 2-4 hand strokes. So you could write almost as fast as you read/hear.

Itโ€™s always nice to be optimistic, however I am more realistic. If you put sth on speed 2x, 3x sounds, speech get distorted which can be an issue. Also, in the case of reading and listening to the book this has the issue of limited attentional span that every adult has. Adults have their attention as concentrated beams of light, newborns have lanterns that is like light of attention scattered all around.
Since you propose reading and listening to the same book - not reading one book and listening to some other - this on the outside can have more sense, but taking more practical take on this, speed of reading varies changes according to the dificulty of the words, phrases and the speed of the audiobook will be always the same, which should be an issue. You will probably end up tuning out either the audiobook or your reading in favour of the audiobook.

1 Like

That makes total sense, but I really want to try this out myself for exploration purposes and report on the validity to make sure what benefit there would be, but Iโ€™m also not sure what kind of patience I have to try it.

1 Like

You can use symbols from shorthand for this task as people can write faster with shorthand,

Using Ford Improved Shorthand you can double your speed of writing compared to the traditional alphabet and you can learn it in just 15 minutes however you may want to change some of the symbols of its alphabets of this shorthand and learning other shorthand can take days if not years,

Although it will be hard for others to understand what you have written,

And also the Ford Improved Shorthand is free,

For usage thatโ€™s non commercial.