My 30 day training regimen

Hello,

This is a journal I’m keeping to track my memory improvement for the next month. I will be posting my thoughts, opinions, techniques, progress in terms of benchmarks, and other related matter over here. I will try to update this thread as often as I have a certain amount of new substantial information(New things I have learned, updates on benchmarks, etc.) to post. I think we should expect a new post every other day or so, but don’t call me out on it if I don’t post so. I am excited to see where I end up by month’s end.

Background:

I am a currently unemployed(yeah, no s**t) 25 year old male with a bachelors in physics. I found the art of memory about a week ago, and have been engrossed in it since. I’ve read a few books, countless articles, and been practicing various techniques. I would rate my working memory 4/10 compared to what it used to be in my childhood.

Initial thoughts

I’ll admit I haven’t had much time to develop my own thoughts/ideas on memorization, but here is where I stand;

1. Emotionally intense thoughts + strong visualizations create strong memories. I want to try to feel emotions in my memories and see if that helps in terms of memorization.
  2. Concentrated, self-aware, deliberate practice improves skills, and as long as I can stay in the zone of deliberate improvement, I will keep improving.
  3. I would like to be able to memorize what happened each month of the past decade, globally as well as personally.
  4. I want to use numerical memorization as my goal, and find what is the optimal way of memorizing digits. I have currently assigned a person/action/object to each number 0-9 and use them to create my journeys.

Initial benchmarks

Meditation(Measured subjectively in terms of clarity/visualization strength, focus/attention)

• 15 minutes mindfulness, 4/10 visualization strength, 6/10 undivided attention.

Numerical memorization(Time taken to memorize 30 random digits)

• 170 seconds, 30 digits. The time to come up with each image is taking too long, and so is the time to make sure each image is memorable enough. I will try to incorporate 10 different feelings in each image and see if that helps. I also think clarity of these images makes them memorable, and mind aren’t clear enough.

Clarity/Strength of memory palaces’ visualization

• 5/10, details are hazy/blurry and need some time to be created, unable to fully visualize my memory palace down to the tiniest detail at will. I used to be able to create worlds in my head as a teenager, so I know it’s possible. This is the most frustrating part of my experience yet, I want to be able to create crystal clear images.

Dual-N-Back(N reached)

Caffeine intake/Exercise/Sleep

• 250 mg in the morning, 96 mg mid-day/2.5 miles ran+2.5 miles walked/8 hours of poor quality sleep

Humanbenchmark.com testing(Reaction time, number memory, visual memory, word memory, without any techniques)

• 193 ms, 14 digits, 14 points, 162 words

Cheers

~DeepChill

4e1050e8486e90b2df4d6045d42eb621

3 Likes

Good luck with your training, DeepChill!

Day 2

Benchmarks

Meditation(Measured subjectively in terms of clarity/visualization strength, focus/attention)

• Clarity: 4.5/10, focus/attention: 6/10.

• First attempt: 150 seconds
  • Second attempt: 148 seconds with 3 mistakes
  • Third attempt: 166 seconds with 1 mistake
  • I feel if I can memorize 3 digits in 5 seconds, I should be able to do 30 digits in 50 s. Honestly, it’s probably just an inefficient attention thing right now.
  • I’m wondering if I should go for more digits before I try to go for speed. Maybe try 100 digit visualization tomorrow?

• 6/10, I feel I can create them quicker than before and can add more details. I want to make each stopping point more memorable, though, and I’m still trying to analyze what makes some points more memorable than others.

Dual-N-Back(N reached)

1. I have no idea how I did this, did DNB about 20 times across the whole day, and just yesterday I was thinking to myself how difficult it would be to cross Dual 3 Back.
  • Also tried QuadNBack about 10 times on my PC which felt really difficult and kinda pointless considering how difficult it is, but I think I will get a LOT of improvement from Quad N Back if I keep trying it. Pic related was my progress on it

Screenshot_10

• 200 mg(morning,) 125 mg(mid-day,) / 40 minutes of light exercise / 8 hours of decent quality sleep.

Humanbenchmark.com testing(Reaction time, number memory, visual memory, word memory, without any techniques)

• 192 ms, 15 digits, 14 points, 239 words
  • I would encourage you to take the humanbenchmark tests yourself and see how you perform and whether or not you notice any improvement if you take them again at a later date after performing your own experiments.

Thoughts

• I think what I’m noticing most is improvement in my ability to visualize stuff in everyday life.
  • What I want to try to achieve tomorrow is to see how long it takes me to memorize 6 digits, then extrapolate that to 30 digits and try to achieve that time in actual 30 digit memorization.
  • I’m having trouble figuring out which memories stick the strongest during memory palacing. I think after each memorization I will write down how easy it was to recall that specific visualization and the vividness of the memory I felt.
  • I think creative writing and world building would be a helpful exercise to do in my free time. I don’t want to commit to doing it tomorrow, so just making a mental note of it for now.
  • I feel like I’m using all my memory palaces to memorize digits, and I’m not getting to use them in real life situations because I don’t have enough memory palaces cleaned up when I need them so:
  • I really have to make a memory palace each day, and I need a memory palace of memory palaces.
  • I would also like to remember every passing day, so I think a few minutes before going to bed and a few after waking up to that task could be great.
  • Slightly unrelated but whatever: Not using electronics after waking up made my morning pretty nutty.
  • Note to self: Need to add more people/objects/actions to my list. I think assigning multiple people/actions/objects to the same digit would be kinda nutty and helpful.

Cheers

~DeepChill

anime-smoking-gif-9

Day 3

Benchmarks

• Clarity: 4.5/10, focus/attention: 6/10.

• First attempt: 162 seconds
  • I’m working on completely changing my PAO system, the current one only has 10 digits(0-9) which I extended/mixed to make my system work, but I’m coming to realize that such a small system isn’t being memorable enough so I’ve written down 100 PAO’s that I’m currently memorizing.

• 6/10, they’re creating quickly.

Dual-N-Back(N reached)

• My QNB progress is going decent:

Screenshot_11

• 200 mg(morning,) 125 mg(mid-day,) / 1 hour of running / 8 hours of decent quality sleep.

• 190 ms, 10 digits, 13 points

Thoughts

Super tired.

Cheers

~DeepChill

1 Like

Okay, so I definitely burned myself out.

I’ll try switching to a minimalist approach and focus on the essentials.

1 Like