Monumental System

Hey all, so i’ve been using mnemonics and memory systems for a long time, but only a year ago did i embark on a full scale memory project. I wanted to create a system that would let me organise an infinite amount of information on many many levels, and automatically keep track of data about what i’ve remembered.

My original goals for this system:
Be able to group memory palaces into intelligent areas.
Link specific palaces together under certain contexts.
A way to keep track of data on each area of my memory and its subdivisions. Indexing my memory.
A system that is impossible to forget, and easy to remember.
Be able to group memories by how they’re stored.

This has since expanded to include experimental things such as memorising abstract concepts and ideas, even sounds and smells.

Essentially a single place for all my organised memory. But at the same time not have it isolated from the rest of my brain and thoughts, so theres no fear of having birthday dates be disconnected from the good feelings and all that normal human stuff.

So, this is how the system has turned out and what i now use for everything.

The Monumental System:
Starting from the highest level working down.

An expansive piece of land, a massive cliff with a fantastical waterfall falling over the edge, i have created a detailed world to store everything in space, a bit more work but a necessity for this project.

The Main Complex
This is an expanding group of buildings, each one for an area I’m interested in remembering stuff from.
Here are the current buildings and some things i use them for:

Lifestyle
Mentalism, Card Counting, Cooking Recipes, Names, Phone Numbers, Addresses, Birthdays.

Music
Musical forms by era. Sonatas by name, composer and date.

Science
Bones in the body, muscles, relative sizes of everything (visible universe to plank length).

Technology
WIFI Passwords, Other Passwords, web addresses. Technological Anatomy. Tech history

Mathematics
Numbers/Constants (Pi, √2, e, Tau) to 100 places, formulae/equations.

History
US Presidents, Wars, Human Race.

Geography
All countries on earth (and flag colours, location).

Language
Italian music terms, ‘Hello’ in 50 languages.

Literature
Abridged OED (1st word on each page), Shakespeare.

The one thing all these buildings have in common is that they rarely need changing, they may need adding to but all past events are fixed. Each building is organised with room numbers, each building also has a two letter code that i now use to access items quicker. Science is Sc, Language is La, Literature is Li etc… Each building has a default 40 doors (20 per floor, i add floors if i need to) from the entrance going up, each of these doors is attached to a symbol of what it contains.

This all works very well, but this alone is like having a wikipedia in your head, its great, but theres other stuff i wanted to have access to. So i left the complex to only contain information of the sort and created a second area, a village that is built down the side of the hill. Each house is a single memory palace, and theres only one path down through the village so its easy to index. I use the village for fun stuff, trivia and random things i want to remember but don’t want to or need to organise.

I have also created some experimental areas:

My own house in the village i call Mea Vita
A large house near the palace falls, to store things like a detailed family history.

Testing Area / Cras vitae universum et omnia
Underneath the mountain, to experiment and see what kinds of things can be remembered, also for anything strictly temporary, to be disposed of, which in itself is experimental but i have had some success.

C. Beatus (Latin)
A smaller separate building to store more abstract memories such as smells, sound and abstract physics and philosophy.

Sports Centre
Current scores and positions in: Football, Cricket, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis and Rugby. Kept separate as it needs regular updating.

So that is all that i want to remember as of now, dauntingly i also wanted to index the entire thing, here is how i have accomplished that:

Sign posts at the Main Complex entrance, village entrance and buildings have encoded lists written as 20 wide lines (makes counting easier), every time i add a door, i add a line to the sign post, this has worked well enough to be able to recount how many doors i have in total with some simple maths (321 in sum total).

The last thing i did to make this all memorable and easy to use was create what i call Complex Form, a way that all this would work if it where a real place.

I am aware this explanation sounds strange, but it makes it infinitely easier and funner.

The entire palace complex and the land around it works as a real one would, to help with long-term memory. The following is an explanation for how things are run and more details on the world the palace resides in.

Geographical Area Around Palace
The Palace sits on the hill of a small mountain up from a large river which flows over the cliff into the bay, downstream to the left of the river on its edge and up towards the palace is a village consisting of small buildings, made out of wood and stone, one long winding path goes from the bottom to the top of the village and up to the palace where a larger house sits. To the left of the village is a higher point, not as high as the mountain, but greener and surrounded by trees. This is where the C. Beatus building lies. A low running multi-arched bridge sits across the river. On the other side there is another large, older building. This is the general knowledge building. If you follow the village path and turn right at the bottom, at the base of the cliff is a mineshaft that miners mine ores and materials from, it also has a locked iron door to the right where you can get to the Testing Area.

Memories
Memories act almost as a physical material, found under pressure in the mines it forms as a glowing blue soft liquid, the liquid is used as a coating material for palace doors, it glows when a door is being used. The first person to touch the door after the coating has dried can connect the door with any place in time and space, allowing them to step through to that place easily. If first coated with silver oxide the coating can be removed with a solution made from the natural water in the rivers and springs, allowing doors links to be changed easily.

I would really appreciate your thoughts, questions, ideas and feedback on what I’m doing.

What a wonderful way to organize virtual memory palaces. Logical and beautiful. You have given me some wonderful ideas. I’m enjoying reading your ideas on the different places you have created and would love to hear more about how some of the buildings are designed.

(Jay Dugger) #3

Please continue to post updates on the organized use of your Moumental System.

(Hannibal Lecter) #4

Really interesting. A few questions:
For the construction of the buildings you used a reference to real buildings, and if so, in whole or in part?
And the architecture that you have used specific forms depending on the content?

I’m currently thinking of creating something like this, and I was undecided on this point.
Of course, the difficulty is not only architectural, but also furniture and design of the loci, and the harmonization of what you need to remember, to create something that is both enjoyable, funny and stylish.

How did you organize your library? I mean, for storing the complete texts which technique you used (for example, if you were retaining an elegy of Propertius, how would you?).

Thank you for this post. I’m also interested in using an infinitely expandable system of memory palaces. Is this system still working out well for you and have you had to make any adjustments to the system since the date of your post?

Hi,

Would you giving a specific example of your system for memories? I am a bit confused. Thanks!

I’ve adopted your organizational strategy and put together a crude layout to guide my visualization. See the attached photo. I use the categories found in The Order Of Things: Hierarchies, Structures and Pecking Orders (Kipfer, Barbara Ann) to organize everything GoogleDrive, Evernote etc. I’ve applied it here as well.

The letters before the names and the text coloring are part of an experiment. They correspond to the musical scale and their specific color frequencies.