Mnemonics for Keywords (English Words)

How can I create a list of mnemonics for each term that I have to memorize for an exam? For example, there is a partial list of mnemonics for common English words.

2 Likes

If you post a list of your words here people could brainstorm ideas.

3 Likes

So, to start the ball rolling:

Mnemonics is essentially memory supports. In competition, for example digits, Everything can be encoded exactly.

But for the drug terminology it will be difficult. So you need something that can remind you if the drug name. “Cyclofosfamida” (cyclophosphamide in English) - Cyclo phospho amide.

Maybe: a Cyclist gets burned by white phosphorus.

This should help key you into the drug name.

The doses are in mg or UI. You’ll need an image to represent them.

Numbers are represented by major system.

Now we need to somehow arrange the images so you can know what they mean.

I would try (Drug)-(dose)-(units)-(days).

I would maybe position them in a set position. For example, if I’m setting the images on the street, I would put the burning cyclist (cyclophosphamide) on the pavement next to our image for 1000, then an image for mg. Then images on the road for the days. If it is a date range maybe create an image for “from”, something you won’t forget and put them between the two images.

So you’ll have the images organised so that:
Drug and dose is on the pavement. The dose is next to the unit type (e.g. mg or UI).
Days are on the road. If it is a range, there is a special image between them.

2 Likes

So really, after using mnemotechnics for learning, and reading a bunch of texts, from the Romans, to the medieval memory masters, to modern memory champions, that the art of memory really can be boiled down to several principles:

Spaced repetition - recalling a memory just when you about to forget strengthens it the most for the minimum effort.

Division - “memoria brevitate gaudet” - rather than remember one long list, it is better to chop it into smaller sublists.

Order - the memory likes order

Encoding - we are evolved to remember sensory experiences very easily - so translate everything into sensory information.

Association - the memory works by association.

I don’t think there is a black and white distinction between natural and artificial memory, rather a gradient.

2 Likes