Mental Abacus

Hello,
I just heard about using mental abacus for rapid calculation.
but i don’t know so much about it.
can you explain this technique to me?
and is there more efficient technique than it?
thanks.

As far as I understand, there are people somewhere that practice for hundreds if not thousands of hours to perform calculations extremely quickly on an abacus, and after thousands of hours practicing with it, they can pretty much just perform the motions with their fingers, not even needing an actual abacus.

Bateman

1 Like

[A few posts were removed from this thread by user request.]

I recommend the book Speed Mathematics Simplified (Dover Books on Mathematics)
by Edward Stoddard

he teaches how to do mental abacus work. The book is in libraries and on Amazon for about $4.50 including shipping.
Vedic Math books are also available and there are Chisenbop( using the fingers as abacus) tutorials on youtube.

2 Likes

Tell that to these people:
Vedic Mathematics Made Easy Paperback – July 15, 2005
by Dhaval Bathia (Author)
Vedic Mathematics or Sixteen Simple Mathematical Formulae from the Vedas by Sri Bharati Krisna Tirthaji
The Power of Vedic Maths by Atul Gupte

Vedic Mathematics: Multiplication Made Easy: Learn to Multiply 25 times faster in a day!! by Advait
Vedic Mathematics by Bharati Krsna Tirthaji

2 Likes

Have you used the techniques and what problems are you having? I have used the techniques since 1965.

1 Like

1965? Can you explain the complete 16 levels without mentioning anything “spiritual” or assuming I (or any other curious human) know anything past basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division operations? Folks like me would like to grasp the advanced concepts behind the vedic math theory without further distractions. Basic/advanced Mathematical reasoning is already difficult enough to understand without getting into religious philosophy or meditation. No disrespect is intended, just respectful dialogue

What are you talking about? Which 16 levels?

As far as I know there is no talk about an abacus (mental or not) in Vedic Maths.

Also you are responding to a person who hasn’t posted anything in the last 5 years.
He might not answer you.

here are the ISBN IDs for the book:

ISBN-13: 978-8120801639
ISBN-10: 8120801636

I suspect the 16 relates to the 16 Sutras that vedic math is supposed to be based on.

There are some good “tricks” in the Vedic tool kit. Nothing that isn’t in the other toolkits and there are things not in the vedic toolkit that are useful as well. It is not any kind of complete system and most seem to add in the rest of algebra, trigonometry and geometry needed to prepare for university maths, chemistry and physics.

I do not believe that Vedic math has any relationship to Abacus math whatsoever but it would be nice to be quick with both plus many other mental calculation techniques.