Memory system for indexed items

Hi,

I’m new to The Art of Memory and was hoping I might get some advice on which memory system would be most effective for committing the following structure to long-term memory:

Category
-Subcategory A
–1. item 1
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–2. item 2
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–.
–20. item 20
-Subcategory B
–1. item 1
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–2. item 2
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–.
–25. item 20
-Subcategory C
–1. item 1
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–2. item 2
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c
–.
–25. item 15
—attribute a
—attribute b
—attribute c

It’s basically a series of related subcategories, each with a numerical index ranging from 1-25. The numbers have meaning so it’s important that the correct number is correlated with the appropriate item. Each item has 3 attributes that may be specific to that item.

I seem to recall there used to be a memory system that purported to support this kind of “tree structure” memorisation but don’t remember what it was. Is there a system/example in the Art of Memory that would work?

Fascinating! I used a technique of my own recently to remember valence formulas, with the charges being the aspect that changes attributes. Negative would make the objects small and positive would make it normals sized, and the number of the charge would change the color. This worked really well and I’m going to probably use this technique soon.

(Josh Cohen) #3

How many categories, subcategories, items, and attributes are there? How much information is going to be memorized on each line?

There will be 1 category, 4 subcategories. subcategory 1 will have 20 items;sc 2 will have 15;sc 3 will have 25 and sc 4 will have 22; each item will have 3 attributes.

Thanks for the reply!