Memory Palaces and Alzheimer's

alzheimers
(Josh Cohen) #1

I saw this interesting blog today.

I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in December 2017, 16 months ago.

I was delighted to find that I could remember 15 items via my Memory Palace.

Last year on my last memory test I forgot the fourth item on a list of four things they asked me to remember. I tried to use color association back then and it failed. Stress of the test?

Here’s a walk through of a memory palace for memorizing the countries of Europe.

2 Likes

Very inspiring!

@Josh are you aware of any research suggesting that practice with memory techniques may prevent Alzheimer’s?

3 Likes
(Josh Cohen) #3

I’m not aware of any research about prevention through memory techniques, but you could search through posts with the #alzheimers tag.

Here are a couple of news items I saw recently:

And this video:

2 Likes

Unfortunately literally nothing can “prevent” #Alzheimer’s, as far as science has seen so far. The likelihood of of getting it can be reduced (according to statistics) by lifestyle changes. Specifically, physical activity (especially cardiovascular excercise) and continuing to learn new things in life as we age/acquiring new skills can increase one’s chances of being Alzheimer’s-free. **Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor

***Second disclaimer: I know what I (think) that I know about this subject because my mother worked for Johnson and Johnson on an Alzheimer’s project.

***Edit: I’d also like to recognize/acknowledge that “prevention” and “mitigating likelihood of acquisition” are somewhat overlapping, nebulous concepts when it comes to semantics.

3 Likes

Do you have any links to substantiate any of the quoted statements?

Thanks.

1 Like

Sure. Via: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/alzheimers-disease-fact-sheet#treating": Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible, progressive brain disorder".

Alzheimer’s is a very complicated topic for multiple reasons, including but not limited to the fact that there are other conditions that have characteristics similar to those of Alzheimer’s, but because they don’t meet all of a certain number of criteria, these conditions are simply called “dementia” or another, related name.

From the same source: " Other dementias include Lewy body dementia, frontotemporal disorders, and vascular dementia. It is common for people to have mixed dementia—a combination of two or more disorders, at least one of which is dementia. For example, some people have both Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia."

And from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alzheimers-disease/expert-answers/alzheimers-disease/faq-20057881: (Can excercise prevent Alzheimer’s disease): “Possibly. Exercise has many known benefits, including reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, strengthening the bones and muscles, and reducing stress.”

Note that the answer is not “yes” but rather “possibly”. No one can prove that anything 100% guarantees that it “prevents” Alzheimer’s just like no one can 100% prove that anything prevents cancer. But data exist that show correlations.

@echoreflection

Many thanks for these useful links.

1 Like
(Josh Cohen) #8

Here’s another post from the blog.

1 Like