Memory palace or story method?

I am looking to store large amounts of information for multiple ICT exams: CCNA; CCNP and CSIE. Is it best to use the story method or a memory palace?

My hunch is probably a memory palace with stories contained. For instance, to memorise 1,000 pegs last year, I created a memory palace with 200 people, and then each person contained a story in a different setting with five other pegs? Is this optimal? Or am I missing something?

Alternatively, I bought 400 postcards of landscapes of natural beauty to place stories within each postcard.

Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions.

1 Like

Ahh, that is very interesting. So, probably the story method is best for remembering sentences? That is probably right. Perhaps I will just use the story method then.

Thanks!

1 Like

Do you need to memorise everything?

A lot of it will be logical, or you already know it, so you don’t need to really remember it.

It’s things which are pure facts that you need to focus on.

3 Likes

I am completely new to the topics, so thought to memorise diagrams, tables and keywords with definitions. The rest I thought I could active recall using the above?

1 Like

I think the best way to find out is to experiment. Mnemonics are quite individual. Sometimes I see how someone would memorize something and it looks unmemorable to me.

One thing, you need some way of keeping track of what chapter each set of images belongs to, so keep that in mind. Also think of how you going to access information.

3 Likes

Exactly, Niten said a truth!
Perfectism is nothing but time consuming. In learning, it’s always the man who takes his first step faster than you. Though he might not be the champion, but definitely not the loser!

“In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.” Mark Zuckerberg

2 Likes

Ahh, okay, yes, so if I remember the chapter headings as pegs then I can keep track of what information goes where. I guess that should be a prerequisite for memory as order is so important.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, I agree: good point. I should just get started and error check along the way.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’d use something like Anki with cloze deletion for definitions and other atomic pieces of info for something like this. Memorising sentences is more for poetry and quotes, I guess.
For formulae or things like Amdahl’s law, then the link method (see Lorayne’s books) or memory palace combined with the major system (for numbers) could work. I’d still dump them into Anki first for active recall.

1 Like