Memory palace in Minecraft

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

carboneum 4 September, 2012 - 09:44

Hi all,
Well I was lately playing this game and watching some videos on youtube and wondering if it couldn’t be used for creating huge memory palace. Minecraft is a game where you can build almost anything and when you are playing it over and over it is getting into your mind very quickly.
So I just wanted to ask what your opinion is on this game.

Hype 4 September, 2012 - 15:52

You could use it, it could help add focus to your imagination and such. I’ve got Minecraft for the Xbox myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

If there are oldies who have no idea what Minecraft is: it’s a video game version of LEGO.

Nifflas 8 September, 2012 - 20:06

Actually, I read about method of loci a long time ago, but I was never able to learn it well. Using a real life location didn’t work too well because it was hard to remember which objects that were relevant (and besides, real life places change), and using an imaginary place was difficult because I would forget the location itself too easily.

However, I started to test out building a memory palace in Minecraft, and it turned out to be the key for me to learn the technique. I play the game in survival mode, it seems I get a stronger attachment to the place if I can not just fly around in it randomly. In each location I create a few different structures or objects, and a “stand here” spot with a sign that contains some information (the name of the place, how many memories it’s designed for, and the order of the objects I link the memories to). It’s really great, you should try it!

I have a good sense of how to store memories and retrieve them. Re-using locations is tricky though as I don’t really forget the old memories.

Josh Cohen 1 October, 2013 - 14:17

I’m not sure if I’ve posted this already: Intern Reproduces 86,000 Square Miles Of British Geography In Minecraft.

Max Caesar 23 October, 2013 - 12:13

I’m using minecraft to build my memory palaces. I’m quite new in the whole memory thing so I’m not the best person to evaluate this method. One thing that I like using MC to build memory palaces is that the places I’ve created are stable and I can visit my palace and reinforce the images and paths in a fun way.

I bought the book “Moonwalking with Einstein” and I’m reading many topics here in mnemotechniques to understand the Method of Loci well. I’ve downloaded a big house in MC and I’m using it to memorize the book of Joshue Foer.

LociInTheSky 23 October, 2013 - 14:39

2 of my very early palaces were from a game on the 3ds called Kid Icarus that I was playing at the time so that they could be reinforced in a fun way also. These days, they are not my absolute favorites because the textures never become truly real, but they still do work very well.