Memory Palace -how can I quick generate visual images

Has anybody ideas on how to come up with memorable images or stories to link to the memory palace for items you wish to remember? This is the part I struggle with the most. Thanks

1 Like

Can you post a few examples of items that you’re having trouble with?

1 Like

I want to remembering 10 items and I am using my body parts as location. I can easily remember the list but would like to start using the story linking element as this will be key to remembering say 50 items. The question is how can I get better at creating stories. This will be a very easy step for some people but doesn’t come naturally to me. I have a 200 pack of card with images of various things which I’ve sorted in alphabetical order. I pull a card from this list with an image I want to remember. I’m finding this really helpful. As the image is there. I even thought about having 3d plastic object as it makes the situation more real.
1.Anchor. Loc1 Top of head
2. Football. Loc2. Hair
3. Ballet shoe. Loc 3. Eyes
4. Bell
5. Dog bracelet
6.bicylce
7. Bird
8. Bulb
9.cake
10. Boat with sails

2 Likes

There are some discussion about body palace.

1 Like

Are you trying to link anchor with top of head, football with hair, ballet shoes with eyes, etc.?

The stories don’t have to be elaborate.

Anchor: I would just picture trying to balance a heavy anchor on my head without additional information.

Football: It’s hard to imagine how a football could get tangled in my hair, but that could be part of the image: how did the football get tangled in my hair? (There doesn’t need to be an answer — weird images are memorable.)

Ballet shoe: I’d picture getting poked in the eye with the ballet shoe.

2 Likes

Thanks Josh. They are good images stronger than mine but mine worked. Sorry I wasn’t clear with my question.
I wanted to link the image for each item. As a flowing story but I don’t think that is relevant. Having a proper story of the images linking together I THINK would make the items even more memorable especially if you are trying to remember hundreds of images. None of the books, articles I’ve read cover this point.

Yesterday I recalled that in the past I used to do visualisation exercises e.g. Look at an image and then close my eyes and try to recall it. If you repeat this a few times the image gets brighter each time almost jumping from the page and you see more detail. This exercise more than anything seems to help develop my imagination.

I found an inspiring article yesterday which reminded me that you need to work at building memory skills. I really liked how the article spelled out the exact steps and the time required. It was super motivating for me.

1 Like