memory palace help on designing palace and tis location

got a couple questions =) so when you eventually run out of items in a room to associate things with do you create your own items or just put your pictures/thoughts etc on random places on the wall ?
i have just created my first palace which is my house, 5 items per room in total ten rooms to remember a shopping list which was in the book. so what would be the next step increase my items to ten per room but what happens when i run out of items but also what if my items end up being all over the place and not in order because i added new places after would u advise me to change things round so they was?
and then if you know that you’ve got a lot of data to store would u create a massive palace first or make it up and its locations as you go along?

thanks kieran

(Fuchsia Pseudonym) #2

Extend your current palace to outside your house. I find it easier to have more “rooms” with fewer loci in each than fewer rooms with more loci in each. This helps me chunk the amount of things I’m attempting to memorize into smaller parts (each room of my chosen palace).

What book are you reading, by the way?

thnaks fuchsi i will give this a try, how big have u built ur memory palace up to?
the book is How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 50 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory by domonic o’brien

(Fuchsia Pseudonym) #4

I have multiple palaces all of different sizes.

are they all real places or are some made up or from films etc?

(Fuchsia Pseudonym) #6

Some are real places, some are from video games.

I have created a large and long table in one room in my memory palace. Daily I put stuff there like shopping list, I associate things with each other so I can memorize them better. For example when I have milk and cucumber on my shoplist I imagine a cucumber from a fairytale I wached as a kid stepping in a spilled milk on the ground. Easy…

And just like Fuchsia Pseudonym I have many one memory palace - theres the “BASIC one” where I store “basic” stuff like credit card number or friend´s birthday and the second one is more complicated so I can memorize more.