Memory Palace for false cognates

I’d like to ask you guys an opinion about how to create memory palaces for false cognates. I want to memorize those false cognates but I wonder how to do the stations and the images in a way that I will know not to use it with the meaning that is similar to the word in English in what that word means.

2 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

One idea is to put those words in a separate area of a memory journey. You don’t need specific locations, but can make place the images arbitrarily as you memorize the words.

Example: if memorizing words in a memory journey outside of a shopping center, put the false cognates in locations inside of one of the stores, separate from the other images.

Other people here might have alternative suggestions.

1 Like

A simple solution, as they are related for not meaning the same, select a particular action and visualize the pair of words and place them in stations as you see fit. Remember that the memory palace it’s just the “where to find” the images are the real cue to “what to find”, that being said, if you don’t need to order the pairs, don’t worry about it.

1 Like

I didn’t understand it very well. Can you give me an example too?

I didn’t understand it well. Can you give me an example?

The same way you create a palace for words that are not cognates in relation to languages you know. There is no mystery.

I’m assuming that you mean false friends (words that look related but have different meanings). If I’m misunderstanding, let me know. :slight_smile:

Here are a few Esperanto words as an example:

1. subita – sudden
  2. verda – green
  3. pilko – ball

and a few false friends:

1. atendi – to wait (not “attend”)
  2. larĝa – wide (not “large”)
  3. for – away (not “for”)

You could put words 1-3 in one location of a memory space, and words 4-6 in another memory space. They could be two different rooms or two different buildings. Then when you recall the word, you’ll at least have a hint that it’s a false friend by where the image appears.

The Esperanto word, atendi, can be mistaken for the English word “to attend” but it actually means “to wait”. The image I used for that word was a person waiting to get into (attend) a concert. If I see that image in the area where all the words are false friends, then I can stop for a moment and realize that atendi does not have the obvious meaning of “attend” but that I have to search deeper into the mnemonic image to find the meaning.

It’s just one idea.