Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly

I was wrong! Sincere apologies. I thought that it was available everywhere, but it is only in Australia and New Zealand. My publisher here says that the North American edition is expected to be published soon after the hardback edition from Pegasus Books in the US. That is early January next year.

Again, apologies for the confusion my ignorance caused. This whole publishing game is too complicated for me.

P.S. Thank you Josh for your ongoing support.

Lynne

4 Likes

no problem , it is worth the patience, thank you dearly Lynne for the sharing of your wonderful projects

3 Likes

Hello Dr Kelley
I misplaced the following post and question in a different thread.
Best regards.

Hello Dr Kelley,
I loved your first book and look forward to the Memory Craft arriving soon.
I am wondering about the mechanics of creating a Lukasa, if you wouldn’t mind providing some additional thoughts:

I would like to experiment with using a Lukasa for memorizing plant families, as you have done for bird families, in accordance with www.wildflowers-and-weeds

Did you find that you needed a beed type object for each family as well as for the individual members of that Family? Perhaps you go into more detail in the new book? Did you have a deliberate design which leveraged colors, sizing and groupings prior to creating the Lukasa?

I believe this will be a fascinating experiment and I appreciate any insights you may share,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Please call me Lynne! This is such a friendly forum!

I have described using the lukasa in detail on this forum somewhere, but I am on the move and using a tablet and I can’t seem to find it. But you have Memory Craft coming and that describes the process very thoroughly - I think! If not, please ask more here.

I didn’t have different beads for each bird family. My first lukasa has a bead or group of beads for each family and then I use stories for the species in the families. The position on the board in terms of location and surrounding beads gives plenty of difference. I used about 6 different bead types and two different sized cowrie shells.

I didn’t design that lukasa with the bird families in mind. It worked a treat, but would have been better had I designed it according to the intended data. I did that with my second one, as described in Memory Craft, and the design phase plus the logical layout made it even easier!

Have fun with your lukasa. I love them. If you get a chance, I’d love to know how it goes.

Lynne

3 Likes

Thank you - I am looking forward to reading more on this and appreciate your response!

2 Likes

The North American edition of Memory Craft is now available. See this thread for details: Memory Craft Book (North American Edition)

5 Likes

I have just been told that the Australian edition is now available in Europe and the UK and probably elsewhere, including the audio version, on Kobo:

https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/memory-craft

Lynne

4 Likes

Thank You! I’m downloading it right now!

1 Like

I have just watched Lynne Ted talk and it’s amazing!! Very inspiring to start a journey with mnemonics and I will definitely read the book. I think I’ve discovered my new passion. Mnemonics can be something more than just technics - we can imply it in our lives and it’s wider area than I had thought. Thank you!:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you so much, Daras. Your comments are much appreciated. My life is wildly better since I discovered memory methods.

I have been busy with lots of things out and about, but now that I am in self-isolation for the duration (other than shopping), I will be able to get much more memorising time.

There has to be some advantages to the current situation! :slight_smile:

Lynne

4 Likes

I’m a newbie when it comes to remembering things with journeys and stories. One of your sentences in the book struck heavily to home with me… The part where you say, I wish I knew these things in school. It would have made things so much easier. As a dyslexic and struggling in school, because I hated how boring it is, it would have helped me a LOT. :slight_smile:

But hey, I’m 39 and a software engineer so I made it somehow. :smiley: But I still struggled / struggling to remember some concepts which would help me in day to day life as an engineer and using these methods seem to help me. I know I need to keep sticking to it to improve and poor my heart and soul into it to make it work, but what you wrote about neuroscience and how you also struggled gives me hope and strength. :slight_smile:

I’m starting small. With just a few lists and facts here and there about software mechanics, design and algorithms and I find that some of the more mathy concepts are really hard to translate. But I’m not at that part of the book yet! :slight_smile: So I’m really looking forward to what it says. ( I remember you mentioning that you’ll write about remembering formulas and math in a later chapter hehe. ).

So sorry, I’m rambling, what I would like to say is that it’s awesome to actually see you around here, I was surprised when I saw your name popping up. And I just would like to say that the book is really awesome and I enjoy reading it. It took it 3 months to get to Hungary. :smiley: :smiley: I almost lost hope that it would ever arrive. :slight_smile: But it did!! \o/ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, some versión in spanish?

Thanks

Hi skariso,

I have had a lot of comments about the value these methods might have for dyslexic students. I have only worked with a few, but the difference was astounding. Mostly for their self-confidence because they were able to learn the same as others - a really new experience. But also because when introduced to the key words first, when they finally did read material, they had a good idea what to expect which seemed to make reading much easier. It is an area I want to look at more. I was supposed to start teacher in-service workshops in a few months, but they have been postponed due to the virus. But they will happen, and the value for dyslexic students will be part of it.

Please don’t apologise for rambling - you didn’t!

I really appreciate your comments and look forward to updates.

Lynne

2 Likes

Hi Leba,

No Spanish yet. Foreign language versions have to go via publishers - a Spanish publisher would need to approach my Australian publisher. It is being translated into Russian but I suspect that’s not much use to you.

Sorry!

Lynne

Hi Lynne, I read your book last month and loved it. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for saying so, deep travel. I really appreciate it.

Lynne,

Memory Craft was my introduction to memory training. So so so so glad I found it. Thank you for an amazing book. I’ve been recommending it to anyone who will listen!

4 Likes

I am feeling absolutely chuffed by the comments on this thread. Thank you, QiJitsu. I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm.

Lynne

2 Likes

Chuffed.

You just learned me a new word. I feel right chuffed about that, and you should too.

Thanks, Lynne.

My pleasure! :slight_smile: