Memorizing study material for an Exam : Chapter wise

Hi Everyone.
Had a query with respect to a method that I’m applying for memorizing study material for a theoretical exam in Aug-Sep. I will try and explain as to what I’m doing for one of the four subjects involved. I would request and welcome critical views. For one of the subjects, there are approx 900 questions divided into 26 chapters. The more keywords that one can remember from a particular question, the better he or she would fair in the exam…
I firstly began with creating a mind palace for each question wherein each keyword was turned into an image and placed in a loci but then got overwhelmed with the number of mind palaces I was building and the need of memorizing the Mind Palaces itself. So then, I changed the method a bit. I am now turning each question into a story associated with a Hollywood/ Bollywood character and then placing those characters from a particular chapter in one mind palace. So, one chapter is in one palace with my characters at each loci. This way, I’m able to maintain both momentum of covering study material at a decent pace and an improved recall as well as compared to rote memorization that I followed earlier.
Certain issue that I am facing on a regular basis is a Feeling of Exhaustion …Story making makes me extremely tired sometimes and I simply sit there on my study table without making any headway with the study material. I wanted to know if this is just being lazy and demotivated or is this a genuine issue which should lead me to change something with my study routine or tactics. Prior to this, when I did not follow these memory techniques, I was easily devoting 10 plus hours of studying time (Not that they were effective in making the study material stick) but now I’m done even in three to four on bad days…

I am doing something like this for the very first time in my life. The reason that I’m taking this risk (as some may feel and rightly so) is because I have experienced a better retention with this method as opposed to rote memorization. But I still would like to validate my belief here. To sum up, the queries that I have are as under

1. Does this methodology sound practical or sensible or is this me trying to reinforce a failure?
  2. Apart from the situation wherein time taken for making these stories would reduce with time owing to experience, is there a way to reduce the time taken in making stories?
  3. What to do about this feeling of exhaustion?
    Thank you. I hope I was able to articulate myself here ? Would really appreciate a response on this. This forum has changed my life…
    Regards.

Hi @ranahydro,

The worrying aspect about ur post is the following statement:

If u ask me,this is unacceptable, especially when ur target is a national level exam.If u want the desired result,than u will have to put in the hours;don’t let anyone tell u otherwise.

Now, there will be those who would argue, quality study scores higher over quantity,but in ur case it needs to be both,quality + quantity.

This is exactly why,in our last discussion, I had asked u to opt for a 80/20 approach.
Given the amount of content u need to cover & the fact that u r a beginner when it comes to this approach,ur headaches are no surprise.

U still have a few months left ,so stop fiddling with ur schedule & start studying for longer hours.Opt for mnemonics for only those data that are easily forgettable.

All the best… :+1:

1 Like

This is a genuine issue with studying in general. The general advice is to take regular breaks, say every 25 minutes a 5 minute break.

You can kind of compare this to running and sprinting. Whenever you are sprinting you will need to take a break at some point. If you take one earlier and with enough time to recover from, you can keep going for a lot longer than if you just went all out from the start. Similarly you can learn to run a marathon for a longer period, it’s about pacing yourself.

This is hard to answer I would say it is a 5/10. It kind of should work. If you can recall the detail in a way that you are satisfied with, then it is certainly going to work if you keep at it.

It’s like reading, so yes but it will start to plateau by simply doing more. At that point it is more about whether you can more quickly tell a story than it is about making one.

Stamina will come eventually. None the less, taking breaks is a highly effective way to proceed. Ideally before you feel tired you should take a break.

2 Likes

Roger… Will get my act together. Thanks

1 Like