Memorizing Psalm 103:1-5, Bible

I will begin my journal with a detailed record of how I memorized Psalm 103:1-5. The goal is to record my first “Scripture Journey” and give a simple example of how an individual may go about using it for recall.

In the past, I have been able to memorize scriptures such as Psalm 23 through rote but as you can imagine this can be a time consuming process. Even through rote, I have found the first 5 verses of Psalm 103 to be especially difficult to retain. Personally, I was only able to recall half the first verse without the technique (image+loci) I am about to describe.

Begin by reading the first 5 verses of the psalm while taking notice of its repetitive language and key words, this is an extremely important step and may take some time. Below, I’ve set my keywords in bold for the images I will create.

Bless the Lord , O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord , O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalms 103:1‭-‬5 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/psa.103.1-5.NKJV

The next step is to visualize the room\objects you will use for your memory journey. I needed 8 loci to remember the keywords in this scripture, use as many or as little as desired.
I found the stage at my church was perfect for this purpose, it includes 3 podiums (a main podium at center stage and one on either side for singers), sections for keyboard, drums, guitar, and a microphone stand.

I’ve assigned a memorable image for each location. Each image was assigned in a clockwise manner. Images and assignments described below.

1. Imagine yourself as a transparent person (keyword: soul) with a visible heart (key phrase: all within me) reaching to the sky to bless God while shouting, “Bless His holy name!” (key: bless His holy name) standing behind the main podium.

2. Imagine a sheet of paper sitting on the podium that reads Forget Not All His Benefits. (key: forget not all His benefits)

3. On the first singer’s podium there sits the lyrics to Forgiveness by Matthew West (key: forgives)

4. A baby on the keyboard with a healing white\yellow light shining from above which heals its disease. (key: heals)

5. A raffle ticket with the word LIFE written on it, being pulled away from a lit candle in the drums area. (key: redeems)

6. A giant, beautiful crown sitting in the guitar area. (key: crowns)

7. A delicious cake sitting on the second singer’s podium. (key: satisfies your mouth)

8. A young eagle perched on the microphone stand. (key: youth, eagle)

This was all I needed for full memorization and recall in less than an hour (estimate of the time it took). Good luck to those struggling to create images based on scripture, I found it extremely difficult at first. Try to keep it clean guys :joy: good luck.

5 Likes