Memorize Academy Award Best Picture Winners

Since the Academy Awards are coming up again, I thought I would share my method from last year when I memorized the Best Picture Oscar winners (the year the movie was made, not the year of the awards ceremony) and placed them in a memory palace around my hometown. Originally my plan was to finish at the local movie theater, but I didn’t plan ahead, and so ended up making a loop around town. This actually worked better, since I ended up making 100 locations (even though so far only 92 ceremonies–room to grow). I occasionally use these locations for other purposes/numbered lists so that’s been useful, too.

I see a lot of talk on here about putting memory feats to practical use…this project has probably been my most useful as far as knowing Jeopardy answers and other trivia and using in social situations/impressing people :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested, here is the google map I made:
Best Picture Winners

This is also the first time that I used the Person from my PAO to denote the year of the movie. Half-heartedly, I used the Object from my PAO to denote which Academy Award Ceremony it is (for instance, this year’s awards will be the 93rd Academy Awards).

Here are a couple examples, along with a link to the Google sheet with the mnemonics I used. These movies were very easy to memorize and link to my Person since the titles are usually familiar, or at the least, vivid. I’m always amazed at how well they fit!

1955 Marty- Lolita (55) is on the railroad tracks with a bunch of Mardi Gras beads around her neck.

1969 Midnight Cowboy- Steve Jobs (69) sitting in theater parking lot on a car in a cowboy hat with a big clock around neck pointing to midnight

1981 Chariots of Fire- Fat Albert (81) is out in the road in a burning chariot.

Best Picture Google Sheet

5 Likes

This is great! Thanks for sharing your journey and ideas.

1 Like