I would like to memorize this legal document. It is the base document that I use for work every day. I am a beginner but wholly committed to memorizing the main point of every paragraph if not verbatim. Any recommendations on how to attack this would be greatly appreciated. The document is in the following link.
Unfortunately I can’t look at that document since my browser blocked the website (“malicious website”). Not sure if my anti-virus program is just overcautious or if there’s actually something wrong with the website.
But in general, if you’d like to memorize a legal document, you can easily do that by using memory palaces. If you turn the key points of each paragraph into images and place them on a memory palace you know well, it’s not that much effort. Also it’s beneficial to have a number system ready when memorizing legal things, since you’ll probably also want to memorize the references to Articles/§§ of the law.
Have you tried memory palaces or other memory techniques before?
If you could maybe take a screenshot of the document and post it here, I might be able to give some specific examples of how I would memorize it. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend memorizing a legal document verbatim; from my experience it’s not as useful as one might think. My approach is usually just memorizing all key points; memory techniques shouldn’t substitute your thinking process and understanding of the document but rather help to make it easier.
I can see this document as a structured document with table of contents and numbered topics and sub topics. One way to retain the contents of this document is to start with placing the main topics in a base memory palace and placing the subtopics into the palace at sub levels
The steps can be
- Identify a memory palace like a house with 10 rooms, identify 10 or more stations in every room to make a 10x10 memory palace (Refer Gavino’s Massive Memory Palace concept)
- Place the main topics one in each room with images created to associate the topic name to the room
- Place the subtopics to the stations in the room with images associated with the name of sub topics
- For content in those topics, extract some key points from the contents and make a story of those key points to be placed at the station, or stick a new memory palace at the station for the content to be placed
Pre-requisites for applying the techniques
As I see you have visited very few topics on this forum and have liked very few threads I am not sure about your exposure to the memory techniques mentioned in this forum, you will need minimum following skills which are explained and available in this forum in multiple places
- Some system to make images for numbers, like Number Object System, Major System, Dominic System
- SMASHIN SCOPE, ALI like association concepts to create stories from the images
- Memory Palace technique where these images and stories will be placed to retain the material
All the best for your efforts. This question is too broad to be answered in specifics and you may want to break this down into multiple forum threads where you will ask how to retain this paragraph or this sub topic if that is feeling difficult.
Please also post your exposure to the methods of memory techniques so others can reply in specific points.