Memorization is a bona fide superpower

What’s your thoughts fellow Mnemonics?

2 Likes

In terms of what?

Getting to a point where you can memorize almost anything compared to the general population that are too distracted. This means learning anything is easier, thus putting a student of mnemonics at an advantage wouldn’t you agree?

1 Like

I’ll just keep asking if you don’t mind… “an advantage” in terms of what… quality of life?

The more you learn, the more you earn. Not only financially but in life aswell. So yes quality of life amongst other aspects aswell. I take it you possibly don’t agree… And if so please if you may, Enlighten me.

1 Like

And therefore,more than being a superpower, I’d say, memorization techniques simplifies life,more so in the academic sector.It gives u more time to engage in extra-curricular activities.

So,a hard-working student doesnt need to be a nerd to excel in studies and on the other hand, someone with weak studying skills doesnt have to slog through a concept if he/she practices mnemonics wisely.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more…

I’m sorry, but only because that rhymes doesn’t mean it’s true.

I can neither agree nor disagree at this point, because frankly I have no idea what you are asking in the first place… which part here is a superpower? Is speaking a second (or third) language a superpower too? Is being able to read a superpower?

1 Like

Excellent way of putting it! I read recently that a young maths student on learning calculus said to his teacher “It is like knowing Kung Fu.”. … I related to that was i feel the same way about memory techniques. And spreading the word, Today for example one of the other posters on the board contacted me by Skype, like all of us do occasionally, he was struggling with however to memorize a specific thing - while i am no expert after just a few minutes between us we’d conjured up a visualisation, a location to store it and a character to act as a permanent guide to that part in of the memory palace and - importantly - he solved his problem and I now know exactly what a nautical mile is… Not that I’ll ever need it. (I don’t think) That’s like a superpower! Using our joint knowledge of memory systems we solved a problem…

Take care

K

4 Likes

This is why I share mnemonics with others as much as I can.
But it is not a superpower, it is just a skill. And just one skill among many other important skills for life.

We call some skills that some people actually have a super power for so many different reasons, that these powers have almost nothing in common, like:

• touching your nose with your tongue;
  • moving your eyes like a cameleon;
  • playing a song on the piano you heard only once on the radio;
  • jumping over a car.

The super powers of movie super heroes are in a categorie of their own as no actual person has any of the powers like:

• shooting a laser beam with your eyes;
  • running faster than a airplane;
  • making yourself invisible;
  • teleportation.

Phoenix2016:

Getting to a point where you can memorize almost anything compared to the general population that are too distracted. This means learning anything is easier, thus putting a student of mnemonics at an advantage wouldn’t you agree?

This raises some questions:

• Who is getting to the point that they can memorise almost anything?
  • Why is the general population distracted?
  • What kinds of learning is easier (because of mnemonic knowledge) and how much?

Some final personal ideas about the apllicability of mnemonics.

It seems to me that the biggest gap between a “mnemonic student” and a “normal person” exists in areas where there is very little real life value, for example:

• number sequences;
  • abstract objects;
  • random words;

And finally, the only 2 memory champions of which I can remember having said something about the applicability of mnemonics in real life are Ben Pridmore and Alex Mullen.

Ben Pridmore has stated on a number of occasions that he doesn’t use mnemonics in real life.

Alex Mullen has said (please let me know if my memory has failed me on this one) that he started to use the memory palace as an aid in his medicine study after some time and it also took him some time to figure out how to do this effectively. I have found no evidence that Alex has gone from a really bad student to a really good student as a result of using mnemonics.

That fine Bjoern, you do not have to agree with me because an opinion is just that, an opinion.

In today’s world where everything has become comoditiesed, every ounce of skill one can learn will set that person apart to the person with no such skills. Mnemonics takes learning back to basics, learning how to learn and doing so in less time compared to someone using more traditional methods of learning.

So when I say it’s like a super power, I don’t mean marvel comics… I mean anything we can learn, cuts out copious amounts of time thus bridging the time-experience gap associated with experts.

Now, because I’m in business and can see real time application of this in my ‘’ real’’ life, it will set me apart if applied and executed correctly. This is what’s meant by the more you learn, the more you earn…

Now as stated before, it’s not a problem if you do not agree or simply cannot understand what I meant. If everyone agreed with everyone then this world would be bloody boring.

Yes great story, unfortunately or fortunately, we can’t all agree with all opinions one conjures up.

I think when you look at Mnemonics as a tool to learn and not just to do memory competitions or party tricks then it gives you a bit more options for personal development. In the example you mentioned human collaboration was essential for achieving that goal and this in some ways is a super power.

Thanks for your feedback as it was much appreciated.

Take care🙌🏼

1 Like

Yes I agree, time is associated with expert level skill and mnemonics I believe can assist with saving time in getting anywhere close to expert level.

So i agree in academics it can assist with getting better grades through learning and retaining more info and thus assisting with how one passes these ‘’ barriers ‘’. So in real world applications, the more one knows and can sharpen these skills (whatever skill it may be) the more prepared that person will be to work themselves up the ranks, in an organization or outside.

I hope this makes sense… Take care :raised_hands:t3:

Yes… And a very important skill at that.

I think it was taken extremely literal when I said ‘’ Super Power’’.
When countries like the USA, or China, or Russia are considered super powers compared to say countries like Ghana, Venezuela or Kazakhstan. What is meant by this statement?

Now this is how I look at Mnemonics, compared to say someone who learns the traditional way. If one cannot retain any info for more than the time it took to read what it was they were trying to learn then that person will always be guzumped by that person with the ‘Skill’ to memorize more.

There are just way to many people doing ordinary things that anything greatly outside of that comfort zone is considered super.

Great, you are one of the 1 %. We all fit in with either side of this equation, it’s all relative.

And yes I agree that this does not make Bjoern awkward.

My consideration for what constitutes super powers are skills outside the general populations comfort zone. This is merely an opinion.

Erik you are a solid guy and fully appreciate your point of view. How long if you don’t mind me asking have you been studying Mnemonics?

3 Likes

Does it surprise you that people take you literal as far as superpowers? After all, you did say bona fide, did you not? A little Princess Bride for you…

princess-bride-meme

Here is what you wrote:

“Memorization is a bona fide Super Power”

In the post you said nothing more than “What’s your thoughts fellow Mnemonics?” So I replied “In terms of what?”. You could have said “apples are good for you… discuss” and gotten the same reply. There is absolutely no supporting argument or anything else useful in what you posted initially. I hope we can agree on that.

So, first let’s put together the last two words, because superpower is one word. This is true when speaking about abilities or nation states. The prefix super- means “above” (its antonym being sub-), so we are talking about a “power” that is above (superior to) a power that is not also a superpower.

The adjective bona fide used to further describe superpower makes not much sense. You are saying “a genuine superpower”. Much like the terms perfect, more perfect, and most perfect don’t make sense. If something is already perfect then there cannot be a second thing more perfect than the first because that would make said first thing imperfect. Agreed?

Similarly, the prefix super- already means above… there is not much of a point in saying genuinely above. In fact bona fide is Latin for “in good faith” and is normally used as an adverb in the context of law. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by its adjectival usage with respect to superpower. Agreed that it wouldn’t change the meaning of the sentence if I just dropped it?

So now we got “Memorization is a superpower”. Personally, I’d now make the assumption that we are talking about “the ability to memorize” not the nation state called “Memorization”.

Looks like @erikfromholland came to the same conclusion. So we are talking about the ability to memorize (“memorization”) being a skill ("-power") that is super-(ior) to other skills. So “memorization is a superpower” could be paraphrased as:

memorization is a superior skill

Unless of course we are talking about nation states??? Please, do go on…

Right, so ability after all and not nation states. But why are you saying that “mnemonics” are the only way to “retain any info[rmation]”? So “someone who learns the traditional way” cannot retain information? Then how do they still “learn”? Or are you saying that they can, but the superpower is to do more than they do?

First of all, you said “Memorization = Superpower”; that is a matter of what, not how! Obviously, you can memorize by rote instead of using mnemonics and in both cases you could use spaced repetition. Seems you are really trying to say:

“the ability to memorize via mnemonics is a superior skill”

…and then you further qualify it by saying either of these two:

“the ability to memorize faster or more is a superior skill”

…does that still sound anything like:

“Memorization is a bona fide Super Power”

I thought I was being quite nice asking you to further development your point by simply asking “in terms of what” when all you had up there was basically a motivational quote… but seriously, “human collaboration”…

office_space

4 Likes

I read my first book on memory techniques about 25 years ago and I think it’s fair to say it has been a part time interest of mine ever since.

Once in a while I get excited by a new memory technique that I read about or come up with myself. Usually my excitement fades away when the progress stops or slows down to much.

The last couple of months I have walked away from memory sports to reset my brain. A couple of days ago I started fresh with a very basic 2 digit number to object system, using mostly recycled parts of previous systems. My main focus is on speed translating the numbers to objects (something that Alex mullen has advocated as part of his training regime) using flash numbers (I find this more entertaining than reading number lists for some reason) for a couple of 5 minutes sessions per day. If I manage to speed read really fast, I will focus more on the actual memorisation of numbers.

Thoughts… probably to many, I am working on some AI to day, but it needs to behave well in dynamic gravity environments… Neglecting my Hang Drum, been a few days… The art I hung today looks good, but I probably should clean a little, or exercise… I am tired… Kids are on Devices to much today, but the snow man was fun, hope they didn’t get Covid from the neighbour… Can’t wait to get back into my book… What did they mean by super powers?