Memorising difficult words in strict order

Hi folks.

The answer to this question may seem obvious, but what I need to memorise is a very important list of words, so before I kick off along what seems to me to be the obvious path, I just wanted to check if anyone has a unique suggestion.

The list in question is 24 words, which are the recovery words for Bitcoin funds. It’s not important if you don’t know what I’m talking about, so long as you understand that it is a list of 24 single words that must be listed in exact order. However, for the curious, here is a definition from a Bitcoin website:

“A … recovery phrase … is a list of words which store all the information needed to recover Bitcoin funds on-chain. Wallet software will typically generate a seed phrase and instruct the user to write it down on paper.”

Now to me the obvious mnemonic would be a chain, with one word leading to the next.

When looking through my list of recovery words I did have some problems with the imagery, because of words like ordinary, remain, viable. Many are nouns, which of course are easy, but there are quite a few that don’t lend themselves to easy imagery - well, for me anyway.

I can’t overemphasize the importance of getting this exercise exactly right for long term memorisation. In the event of recovery being necessary, the difference between right and wrong could mean the loss of many thousands of dollars.

Thanks for your input.

I’d still go with a memory palace and two words per location… that’s how I do the random words event anyway… but chain it as a long story if you like that method better.

Well, you don’t have to use the exact word… you just need to be able to get back to it:

• remain: “re” in the Latin sense of “back” as in return, reply, etc. + main (French for "hand) is a tennis “backhand”

• viable: use “vi” as the Roman numeral 6 and create an image with 6 “[t]ables”… and of course you can also exchange the “i” in 6 for an “e” if that helps with the image; instead of using that many tables.

If all else fails, you can always use your binary system and go the braille route:

1 Like