Meditation and Memory Training

Hey all,

Wanted to bring up the topic of daily meditation in conjunction with memory training.

For some time I have been adding daily morning and evening meditation to my training schedule. The idea (at least with regards to memory) is to learn to focus your attention on the task at hand. So many of us find ourselves easy thrown off our flow when we hear a sound, or perceive movement around us when memorizing, but what if you can learn to block it out. That is what I am hoping to achieve and would love to discuss with anyone else who has tried this with some success.

Livan Grijalva

1 Like

I like this idea. I have fallen off my daily mediation routine recently and I am considering picking it back up. I use memory techniques in loud environments where people try to have conversations with me. It is difficult, and I am forced to ignore people for the moment when storing information. Multitasking is very difficult for us, and in my experience counting cards, I have to give quick responses, count quickly, divide the running count by the decks remained by to get the true count, focus back on them and process what they said, and the key to that is practice. Mediation could possibly improve this. So I would think you have to be proficient enough to input information into a palace quickly and effectively, and switch back your focus to the person. I’m not great at using memory techniques at the table as of now, and need my complete attention. Hopefully with time and practice this will become second nature like counting is to me. Mediation is great for focus, but takes commitment and time to achieve it. I’ll start it back up tomorrow and let you know in 3 months if my concentration has improved haha.

2 Likes

Hey great story. I have found that I am able to memorize in locations I couldn’t before and even managed to block out noises and focus better. Hopefully you’ll find the same benefits, good luck!

2 Likes

Meditation could help our attention get better…

But there is one tiny problem with meditation that many overlook or don’t know about. Meditation practices like ‘vipassana’, mindful meditation or anapanasati,etc that is based on ‘focus/attention’ could actually trigger negativity in our mind(and body), and therefore, we could become less focused!

When we practice things like ‘attention’,we also start to pay attention to our inner world. And all sorts of negative emotions start to surface and we start to physically feel them. This is not a great experience to have. It could take months to properly deal with those surfaced emotion, and some of them are very traumatic! This is why,it is highly recommended to practice meditation under a trainer.

Doing meditation the correct way is a greatly rewarding thing. This can dramatically change our life. But there is a price to pay. Facing our inner self,our shadow self is the most debilitating,depressing experience one could have!!! Meditation brings out our shadow self, our traumatic inner child…

2 Likes

I do agree with that statement, I have found a lot of ego in my meditation. Meaning I realized how much ego exists within me and while that can be a depressing feeling I realized it was just as bad to ignore it and continue in ignorance. I have since changed it and I feel better about it. But you are totally right that by exploring your thoughts and looking inward there is a chance you find unpleasant things down there.

2 Likes

If something arises from meditation then it needed dealing with anyway. I don’t see this as a bad thing.

3 Likes

Jim Kwik is (like myself) a TBI survivor and (unlike me) a memory expert. Or at least he claims he is. I am skeptical about people who are aggressive self-promoters and who sell themselves as “brain experts”, but whatever works I guess. Anyway, he definitely endorses meditation.

https://kwiklearning.com/kwik-tips/meditation-is-amazing-for-your-brain-heres-why/

Also: https://liveanddare.com/benefits-of-meditation

1 Like

I find I really need to be present in the moment. Sometimes when I am in the car and not driving, I don’t pay close attention to the surroundings. If I am clearly present in the moment, then I pay more attention to my surroundings. Then when I am driving I can remember which direction to take. I know that’s not meditation but I find that’s what meditation does for me, it makes me more mindful…