Mastering the double line sweep(speed reading)

how do I master absorbing chunks of information forward and backward double line sweeping action

how do i absorb the chunks of information

how do i master it

First I believe there is a speed reading tag, in case you want to write more posts about speed reading.

Verbal reading does not provide much efficiency backwards. So you must certainly be referring to visually reading text.

A little thinking is giving me the idea that a good way to practice this is to line up a set of nouns which you can easily visualise and then practice visualising them in sweep motion. Then gradually increase the count and start introducing sentences after that. Focus first on speed before increasing the count and also clarity.

Apparently your eyes move in a wave fashion along 2 lines of text, if you want to see it linearly you would move /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ along 2 lines of text.

In chunks. Try learning to encode 2 at a time then 3, then 4 etc. Doing it slowly first will help you get the ‘same time’ right.

1 Like

The largest keys to speed reading (>1200 WPM is where speed reading really starts) include the following:

1. Do the “push up drills” WITH THE WRITTEN/DRAWN RECALL PATTERNS (1 hr x 6 days x 10 weeks minimum)
  2. Do THE WRITTEN/DRAWN RECALL PATTERNS
  3. Do THE WRITTEN/DRAWN RECALL PATTERNS <- see a pattern here
  4. Remember that speed reading practice (push ups) are NOT reading but forcing yourself to go faster than you can currently read: Max Speed -> then 2x speed -> then 3 x speed, repeat for an hour x 6 days x 10 weeks)
  5. By simply forcing your eyes to cover the material “too fast” and your brain to pay attention the neural nets are built – we don’t know “How” it’s just something the brain works out because it hates being bored. We don’t know how we learn to “walk” or “talk” either.
  6. The WRITTEN recall patterns are necessary during training because otherwise your brain learns to SEE the ideas but doesn’t learn how to INDEX them. It’s like putting all your files on a hard disk with no directory structure or in a database with no index – or a chucking your work files in the basement without using a file cabinet and filing system.

So when you get to “reverse” sweeping you are just entering the range of true speed reading AND asking your brain to do something entirely foreign to experience.

You are just learning to push past auditory reading and to “accept out of order information” – trusting your brain to (learn to) resolve, organize, sort, and index that takes a LOT of proper practice.

DRILLS ARE NOT SPEED READING. They are the “weight lifting” that you need to build muscle. Largely pointless and boring unless you know you really want to develop this skill.

Proper practice is (see above) largely push-up drills and written recall patterns 1 hour per day, 6+ days per week, 10 weeks in a row.

You might do it in less, but there’s no guarantee. And you might have to repeat it every so often if you don’t continuously practice ACTUAL speed reading in your life.

Drills train & prepare you to speed read – they are NOT speed reading per se.

We know this because the first 1-minute of the drill is “read as fast as you can”.

By definition you cannot read any faster (that day) than you just accomplished.

Then 30-seconds of FORCED recall patterns even if you can’t think of but one word or idea – or none. You must spend the entire 30 seconds TRYING for recall and writing what you think MIGHT have been in there. (But usually the 1 segment is pretty memorable because you are reading in that one.)

BRIEFLY count and record your current “speed” – you will then play the game of trying to make the next round faster, and tomorrow faster than today.

2nd segment: DOUBLE the first segment starting at the original beginning. You READ from page 10-12, so now you FORCE yourself to cover (not really read) pages 10-15

Repeat the forced recall. (Remember it’s weight lifting for 30 seconds.)

Then triple: 3 x the original (e.g., pages 10-18.) – THEN RECALL again.

That’s round 1. Repeat for an hour.

Ideally you could do one round in 5 minutes (1+30 x 3 plus 30 seconds to record all the speeds and marks the sections) but realistically if you can get 4 or 5 rounds in an hour you are probably ok.

This is hard work. Your brain will literally heat up. (Not kidding.)

It works. It might work other ways but I have never personally met anyone who successfully learned the Evelyn Woods/Kaplan or similar method without doing the recall patterns.

Them: Yeah, I took speed reading one.
Me: How did that work out for you, can you do it?
Them: No not really, it worked for a while but then it went away.
Me: Did you do the recall patterns?
Them: THE WHAT?

Or if they say Yes:
Me: Did you write them down and do them an hour a day for 10 weeks?
Them: Well, er…uh, not really…no

I still have my work sheets for those patterns 40 years later – found them last week cleaning up my office.

I still remember many of the books I used for practice during that time – but remember: The goal was NOT to read those practice books, merely to move the weight, do the drills, FORCE our brain to figure it out.

Almost everyone, including most instructors, believes that the drills are supposed to “BE READING” – they are not.

Pick books for practice that you can say, “Gee that sound interesting but I can afford to miss the entire book if it happens.”

DO NOT use books you must read for school, work, or life unless you plan to re-read them later.

Speed reading works just fine (better usually) on technical structured books but don’t use those because it’s too much trouble (time) to count the reading rates for recording your speeds.

When counting your speed to record it for “goal” purposes you’ll initially want to count each word, then you’ll count only the average words on a line, and pretty soon you just estimate words per page and count pages. Plus or minus 10% if fine as long as you are reasonably consistent.

Today’s practice is NEXT WEEKS IMPROVEMENT.
Today’s weight lifting is NEXT WEEKS muscles.

Most people don’t get that. They start cheating or skimping on practice and it’s a week or two before their improvements stop.