Major system

I’m a gymnasium student and i need Major system for shool. Should i learn 3 number Major system like 357 is milk, or should i stay on 2 number system? I use it for memorizing dates mostly.

2 Likes

For educational purposes a 2-digit system is usually enough. I use a 2-digit PA system and I‘m happy with it, since it‘s much easier to maintain than a 3-digit system.

If you‘d like to compete in memory championships with the best in the world, you‘ll probably want to go for a 3-digit system, but I can‘t think of any other task where you‘d actually need a 3-digit system.

6 Likes

I’m asking because i use it mostly for years. 1769 for example its ketchup for me. But with 2 digit PAO system i would need 2 imaged 17 and 69. And how many years someone lived i would need 4 images. English isn’t my primary language so sorry for the mistakes

1 Like

If you have a 3-digit system you could encode just the last three numbers: 769 for 1769. It requires a lot more work to create the bigger system though.

I haven’t tried it but Francis Fauvel Gouraud wrote about an interesting idea for memorizing dates with the Major System called mnemotechnic words.

2 Likes

Ok thank you. I think i will try making 1000 images :smiley:

1 Like