Major System peg words vs persons in PAO vs persons in PAO for cards etc

I’ve learned the peg words based upon the Major System for 0 - 99 from Harry Lorayne’s book. I’ve also read/watched in several places that suggest using the Major System to form the images for the person in a PAO system. When people do this, do they have a list of 0 - 99 for peg words and a separate list of 0 - 99 for persons used in their PAO? Continuing that line of questioning, do people normally maintain a third list of persons for use in a PAO system specifically for memorizing cards?

I guess this isn’t really specific to the Major System. It applies to any peg words method used along with a PAO system. It seems to a novice like me that it would be easier to use the persons as peg words instead of maintaining a separate list. Is there a pitfall to using the person from a PAO list as a peg word for some ordered list?

1 Like

I think the peg system is the best alternative to the method of loci. I like & use it a lot myself.

Pegs are good for long term storage space without the need of a memory palace.
You can use any type of images as pegs, and link all your lists to each category.

You are not limited with just persons and objects to create peg-storage-images.
There are many ways of creating a category list of pegs that can give you a few hundred locations, and can be memorised in a very short time.

Once you built a few Peg-Lists, you’ll have a ready made Peg-Palace that you can use to memorise information daily, short, or long term with any list or ordered list.

1 Like

Thanks @Erol for the clarification. Is there a concern of getting misleading images (maybe “ghost images” is the correct term?) when reusing peg lists? I’ve seen the recommendation to not reuse memory palaces for information that you want to keep long term. I assume the same applies to peg lists.

1 Like

Pegs for short term memory
Reusing your pegs on the same hour or the same day may give you ghost images.

I would not use the same pegs twice in a day for two different list.
Wait at least a day before you use the same pegs again for your next list of items.

A to-do list, shopping list, or any daily list can be memorised using the same pegs everyday.

You can memorise a few different lists using a few different Peg-List everyday.
So you might have a To-Do list, Shopping-List, Work-List.

Simply assign a Peg-List to each one of your lists.
And memorise your new list of items using the same peg list everyday.
It works well.

I have 50 items in my little office I use as pegs. I memorised them in a numbered order, so I can go from the first item to the next without any confusion. And memorise a huge list, or a few different list when I split it into the amount of locations I need each day. So in a way my office is another memory palace made up of 50 pegs. That’s how I construct my memory palaces. I always have the objects I either know they are there, or I simply place them there myself.

Pegs for long term memory
You can still use your Peg-List for long term memory. It would just mean that you cannot reuse those pegs again, because you would have your information linked to those pegs permanently. So your pegs becomes permanent pegs, and so does the info attached to those pegs.

I use number shapes, alphabet objects, my body, my-car, musical instruments, office items, and some other everyday objects as Pegs-Storage.

No need to create a memory palace storage if you have a good few Peg-Lists.

The idea would be to create more Peg-Lists if you have a lot of long term information you want to memorize.

Memory palace is always the best friend for long term memory.
As mentioned before, I still use my memory palaces to place my pegs along the journey. It becomes an expandable palace. It becomes very memorable, it’s almost never easy to forget!