Major System for 00-99 for P, A, & O?

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

I Love Brains 24 August, 2012 - 07:54

Hi Everyone. First post on the forum. Wanted to say that I’m really glad to have found this awesome resource.

I want to build my first PAO system with the Major System base. As I’ve been building this, I came across some things I was hoping some more seasoned experts might be able to help me with.

Here some things I notice:

First, is it better to use the Major System rules for the P, A, and O? For instances:

00= Sarasvati Singing Songs

Using strict Major System Rules for the person and a little more lax rules on the action and object. Or would it be better to modify the action and object to ensure their vividness? Like Sarasvati gorging on chocolate chip ice cream?

Next, I was wondering if there are any refinements that you guys make when you select an action so that the action sits relatively well with the object and fits consistently throughout the system.

For instance:

John eats rocks
sam hits baseballs

as opposed to

John floating sky
sam hits baseballs

Where the first mix fluidly the second seem somewhat conflicting, like sam hits the sky.

I’m really grateful for any guidance and direction.

kbjeff 24 August, 2012 - 09:17

Welcome and congrats on starting!

I recently built my PAO based on Major. I decided to go this way because I had previously established a strong connection with the Major system. Having gone through the exercise, I believe this was the absolute right choice for me.

I do believe, however, that the traditional PAO (action and object strongly associated with the person) would work just as well for someone who doesn’t already know the Major system well.

Since you seem to like Major, I would encourage you to strictly stick to the Major rules for A and O.

Your second question is also a very good one. I would suggest simply doing a gut check on the objects as you go to make sure they are concrete, finite objects or animals. “Sky” for example is concrete, but it is essentially infinite. While it’s possible to create an image of someone balancing the sky on their nose, it’s far easier to envision them doing that with a scuba tank.

I would just keep that in the back of your mind and start building your list. Once you get your list complete, you’ll want to scan through looking for duplicate/interchangeable actions and objects. But don’t get hung up on that too much until you get the list done as a first pass. Otherwise you’ll spend months on something that should take days or weeks.

Here’s my recently created list (note: I’m in the process of expanding it a bit to handle face cards for deck memorization):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuvTZ6T5HwZUdFRBa0R5Zm10LThrZjYzRFNFeGQ0Mnc#gid=0

Feel free to borrow as much of it as you like, but remember, the more you can come up with your own, the better it will stick. Having said that, I probably borrowed 70% of this from various sources.

Once you complete it, I recommend creating an Anki flashcard deck to lock it in.

Good luck!

I Love Brains 24 August, 2012 - 21:13

So, So awesome Jeff. I was reading the 1000 members post and someone said how everyone on here is really friendly and helpful. I gotta say you just surpassed that expectation. I’ve built about a quarter of the list now and was thinking of taking down 10 numbers a day, putting them into a memory palace (just for easy reference), and gradually building up to the full 100 by a month or so. I’ve been thinking about doing this for several years now after reading a number of books on the subject, but after having found this forum I believe I have the reinforcement to make it possible.

I looked over your list. So you’ve gone through and stayed 100 % true to the Major System? How long has it taken you to integrate this into your memory bank?

Also your list answered a question for me: what to do with building 5 digit numbers. In constructing the image do you put the odd digit last, ie 94 94 1 or first 9 49 41? Guess I got about a month before I get there.

Anyways thanks again for helping me get the wheels in motion. Nothing like have some reflection from someone well ahead of you.

kbjeff 24 August, 2012 - 22:03

Glad to help!

Didn’t take me long at all to commit these to memory. Again, I really think the Anki software is a fantastic tool for locking it in.

Then, as you are moving around through the world, just keep your eyes open for numbers and constantly practice converting them to images. Pretty soon it will become second nature.

I don’t see any value in placing these in a memory palace. You need to just memorize them for instant recall.

Yes, I’ve settled on a couple strategies for odd sets of numbers.

If the number is 1-2-or 3 digits, I’ll first see if there is an obvious major system conversion. If nothing immediately springs to mind, then I turn to PAO.

If it is 1 or 2 digits, I’ll use just the 1 or 2 digit P.

3 digits is usually 2 digit P plus 1 digit O (I’m not sure it really matters, though. If I chose 1 digit P + 2 digit O, it would still be obvious I’m dealing with a 3 digit number).

4 digits is 2 digit P standing on top of 2 digit O.

5 digits is 2 digit P + 2 digit A + 1 digit O

6 digits is 2 digit P + 2 digit A + 2 digit O

And, that’s pretty much it!
Jeff

I Love Brains 25 August, 2012 - 04:14

I really appreciate it Jeff. You just saved me from making a bunch of mistakes. Your list is proving to be very helpful too. Those verbs can be a challenge. I feel like I need to start playing scrabble more or something.

How easy was it to translate the PAO into the cards? That seems like a pretty ingenious idea. How do you feel about memorizing cards even if I’m not all that much interested in using it competitively? Would you say it is a good general training device?

Thanks again mental-guru.

kbjeff 25 August, 2012 - 05:12

I haven’t attempted my first card deck, so I’ll have to get back to you on that one :wink:

I’m personally not training for a memory competition. I just want to use this stuff for remembering normal stuff in real life.

I view the cards as a general training device-- and just curious if I can do it.

Richie_UK 28 August, 2012 - 02:48

I Love Brains wrote:

… How do you feel about memorizing cards even if I’m not all that much interested in using it competitively? Would you say it is a good general training device?..

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’ll just add my 2p worth here, if I may. Outside of memory competitions the memorization of a deck of cards has no practical use whatsoever. However, since when did we do things solely for their practical use? :slight_smile: I taught myself (with guidance from various web sources) how to memorize a deck simply because I wanted to - I wanted to prove to myself what was possible with memory techniques. It’s all very well watching somebody do it on TV but doing it yourself is so much better. When you complete your first deck memorization, even if it takes 20 minutes like my first attempt did, it gives you a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

So, I would whole-heartedly recommend memorizing a deck of cards. Its good memory training in general and it will give you the confidence to take on other memory-related tasks. (For example, I’m about to learn 1,000 words in Italian. I’ll admit to being a little daunted at the prospect but I would never even have contemplated such a task before learning about memory techniques.)

Good luck with your endeavours and, above all, enjoy it! :slight_smile: