Loci vs Spaced Repetition for Literature/History

Hi,

I’ve been using loci for a few years now, mainly to remember lists of dates and timelines, but am interested in employing it more generally. I’m currently at uni and am looking to apply it to history and English literature.

A couple of questions:

What are the advantageous and disadvantages of using Loci vs spaced repetition for these subjects? Literature requires intense inference making and drawing comparisons between sources for interpretation, such as literary theory and criticism. So the objects in my palace would need to be malleable/replaceable.

Opinions on remembering annotated passages (I’ve based an essay on single repeated words, but those were found by chance).

Thanks in advance for your replies. Please move this to the homework and study help category if not correct.

P.S. I already know you’ll refer to the difference between understanding and recalling.

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

Since this is likely to be mentioned.

They are not mutually exclusive. Please specify exactly what you mean. By spaced repetition do you perhaps mean rote+spaced repetition, what about for using ‘loci’?

Please specify exactly what you mean

Thanks for your reply. I was a bit vague. Yes, I use spaced repetition for loci - technically rote - but I’m interested in spaced repetition by itself (i.e., brute force) vs a memory palace system. In a basic sense, I’m interested in which will work better for finding comparisons between already understood knowledge.