Loci Please Help

I am new to using the Loci Method and therefore have a question. I am looking to construct a memory palace and use a particular location for the same topic, but I am puzzled how I would use the memory palace to store such a large amount of information. Wouldn’t the memory palace now become cluttered/confusing?(not enough room) It was easy to use the memory palace to memorize all the US states (I am from Canada eh). But I am having trouble storing a large amount of info in one “palace”.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Grasshopper,

Depending on the volume of information I would suggest you may simply need some more memory palaces or journies. If you search the forum you will find plenty of help with how to do this, but simply think of all the homes, workplaces, restaurants, bars, hotels and holiday locations etc that you have visited and that should get you started.

As an alternative check out my recent “massive memory palace” post for another approach and other ideas that I have drawn together.

Cheers

Gavino

I’ll just repeat the comment I made on this topic:

https://artofmemory.com/forums/how-detailed-do-i-need-to-be-3348.html#comment-10381

I prefer using journeys rather than memory palaces because one, a big house is hard to find and two, you can take a walk and build yourself a journey at the same time. :wink:

Still I do use memory palaces for subjects like pharmacology, etc. where I need to memorize tons of hard, cold facts. I use maps from a game called counterstrike which I used to play a lot. I then connect the different maps to increase the size of my memory palace by creating teleportation portals like the stargate in SG-1.

I literally picture a stargate at the end of the map. I travel through it and come out of the other map. Using this simple technique, my memory palace becomes limitless.

I just play the game to anchor the maps in my mind. The key is to have fun while learning at the same time. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Thank you Gentlemen. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Hey, I am new to memory palace too. I got a few questions that have been bothering me. Whats the difference between journey method and memory palace? I thought they were the same thing and I am trying to master memory palace before next year because thats when I will be going to uni so I was wandering if you could tell me, how can you tell if you have master memory palace? Obviously, you can always improve by increasing number of memory palace and so on but they must be a stage where you can considered yourself master(good) memory palace? I really want to know this because then I know what to aim for. Thank you in advanced.

Hey, I am new to memory palace too. I got a few questions that have been bothering me. Whats the difference between journey method and memory palace? I thought they were the same thing and I am trying to master memory palace before next year because thats when I will be going to uni so I was wandering if you could tell me, how can you tell if you have master memory palace? Obviously, you can always improve by increasing number of memory palace and so on but they must be a stage where you can considered yourself master(good) memory palace? I really want to know this because then I know what to aim for. Thank you in advanced.

Hi Ryanboi
Firstly master the English language before going to Uni! - “I was wandering” - “but they must be a stage” - “Thank you in advanced” - to quote just a few.

The memory palace and the journey method are basically the same thing - they are simply a construct in which to store information. Some people prefer using a journey (I do) and others prefer using a memory palace.

When you are able to follow your memory palace from beginning to end and then backwards comfortably and quickly then you have mastered that memory palace. You will probably need to have several memory palaces available to you and each one will need to be mastered. You might also want to test yourself periodically by randomly selecting locations within your memory palaces and recalling where the location is and what is memorised there.

On the one hand, the memory palace and the journey method are the same, in that you travel from one place to another, sometimes sequentially, sometimes not.

However, the difference is that a memory palace is an architectural entity, either real, virtual, or a combination of the two. It takes place, for the most part, inside some kind of building. An individual room of a palace suggests finiteness. So that in order to continue staying inside, you must either go into another room, or create another room, or create another palace entirely. It’s interior.

A journey is exterior. You find places along a specific route. It’s as open-ended as you desire, because the route can go on and on for as long as you like. You set your image in a place much as you’d do in a palace, and make the image interact somehow with, or be a substitute for, the place you set it.

As to which is better, well, who can say? What’s better for one person will not be as good for another person. There is nothing inherent in either the palace or the journey that makes it, for everyone, better or worse for storing information. It’s what you do with it (and how you do it) that matters. You put information along a journey and I put the same information in a palace. We both recall the information accurately. That’s the only thing that counts.

I will be studying Economics next year and I don’t think that lecturers will deduct marks based on grammar errors. It’s all about the structure of the essays and the points being made. Taking into account that English is my fourth language, I think I have learned it pretty well. At least, good enough to score 100% in 2 Microeconomics papers and beat English students in an essay subject. Anyway, thank you for your explanation on memory palace.

Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile: