Lifestyle and Brain Function

The average person eats many more calories than they did 50 years ago – equivalent to an extra fast-food burger meal every day – which is having devastating results for our brains and waistlines, an ANU health expert warns.

Professor Nicolas Cherbuin, the lead author of new research published in Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, said brain health can decline much earlier in life than previously thought due, in large part, to a society that promotes unhealthy lifestyle choices.

“People are eating away at their brain with a really bad fast-food diet and little-to-no exercise,” said Professor Cherbuin from the ANU Centre for Research on Ageing, Health and Wellbeing.

“We’ve found strong evidence that people’s unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise for sustained periods of time puts them at serious risk of developing type 2 diabetes and significant declines in brain function, such as dementia and brain shrinkage.”

More info:

Related to diabetes, this article is also interesting.

2 Likes

Today I had lunch in a fast food place, and they were giving an extra burger almost for free, and I took it. Now I feel bad about it. :joy:

1 Like