Learning English Language

Hello, I’m from Brazil. I’m starting here to learn more about techniques of memorization to keep learning English. I need to improve my vocabulary, and I believe that Mind Palace can help me. I already found many tips here. I started memorizing 20 digits of PI number by videos on YouTube.

6 Likes

Tudo bem Lucas, bem vindo à nossa comunidade

1 Like

Obrigado! Thank you! :wink:

Opa, seja bem vindo Lucas!
First of all, I do not consider myself in any way fluent in english. But over the past few months my passive vocabulary has increased a lot.
My advice might be a bit boring, but I do NOT recommend using a memory palace for passive vocabulary.
The reason why is because it is very good to memorize, in an orderly manner, things that are related to each other in a “linear” or “predictable” way. But words arent like that (unless you are talking about Specific vocabulary for a field like Mathematics). Consider increasing the amount of complex input (videos, audios and texts). Whenever you find a word that you dont understand, look it up in the dictionary and create a list for new words. When it comes to memory, you can create associations for every new word with its "translation" in pt-br. Review them (...). And also, when youre reading/listening make sure you really understand the input.
(O input só vale a pena se vc de fato compreender o que está entrando xD)
And of course, if you want to write, study grammar. (cause I didn`t and you can see how that looks like xD)
If you want to increase active vocabulary, I am afraid I cannot advise you :c
I am sorry for my english, and I hope I could help you!

{…Eu estou estudando algumas outras línguas, se quiser a gente pode trocar umas idéias, sla…}

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your advice. Great tips! I’ve been absorbing a lot of English content and using mnemonics to memorize vocabulary, I’ve also been trying to memorize words that make sense for me to learn, always in context. I believe that the memory palace can help me in this regard as well.
Then I come back here to tell how my evolution has been in this direction. :smile:

3 Likes

I’m also learning English, using memory techniques.

1 Like

I’d also recommend Quizlet for memorizing words, there are lots of words sets (and you can make your own) and types of exercises.

Start from memorizing of 3000 basic words. It’s enough to understand any text. Also try to learn the most popular phrases.