Learn to draw quickly

Hello I would like to know if there is a method or a technique to learn drawing faster?

2 Likes

I’m not sure, but I hope someone here knows. :slight_smile:

Is there a certain kind of drawing you’re interested in?

Yes the realistic design

There’s a book, “Drawing with the right side of the brain” which is very good. There’s also a lot of material on the internet.

3 Likes

Faster than what? What’s your baseline?

Drawing exist out of learning a bit of knowledge, but for the most part it is hand eye coordination and that takes time to develop. Of course talent also plays a role the more talent you have for it the faster you can learn. When I learned to draw when I was a lot younger there where only books that didn’t help me much. Now a days there are Youtube videos that are so much better to help you draw better. I don’t know if they still exist but I also used the art forums a lot to get tips from experts. You show your work and they can tell you where you went wrong. I used them a lot in my Airbrush and oil painting days but you need to know how to handle criticism.
If I had to learn drawing now a days I would go for Youtube they have excellent stuff on this.

Good Luck with your new challenge.

I have no base I am an ultra beginner

What I am looking for is a bit like the book “Drawing with your right brain” a way to make learning to draw easier instead of drawing a lot just to draw but more a methodology

The book “Drawing On The Right Side of the Brain” helped kick off an industry around Left Brain vs Right Brain thinking. Although I would suggest her description of neuroscience might need an update, I believe her book is still one of the best resources for beginners who want to learn to draw.

When I first bought the book in the late 70’s or early 80’s, I took my new purchase to a restaurant I frequented. I opened the book and started reading immediately. There was an exercise that involved drawing a portrait using an upside-down picture of John F Kennedy. I quickly did the exercise in pen (since I didn’t have a pencil) on the back of the paper bag the book came in. When I was done a few minutes later, I turned my picture around to look at it. It really looked quite good. I was totally impressed. When I was done at the restaurant, I crumpled up the bag (with my drawing from the exercise), left it on the table, and went home.

A couple years later I happened to bump into the waitress who was serving me that day. She confided that she was a huge JFK fan. She said she found the crumpled up bag I left that day, flattened it out and put it in a frame and kept it.

“Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” is a damn good book in my opinion. It was also an important influence for me to become extremely interested in modern neuroscience. Highly recommended, but please remember it was written in 1979.

3 Likes

Fast learning maestro made a challenge how to get better at drawing portraits in one month. He wasn’t sure that his methods make a great fit for such skills. But his affraids was wrong.
He made impressive progress 30 Day Portrait Drawing Challenge - Scott H Young

2 Likes

His book is good: Ultralearning by Scott Young

Van Gogh is one of the examples in the book.

2 Likes

What’s the point of drawing upside down? I often see this on Youtube in relation to this book

The best exercise I can recommend is drawing from memory.

Because the mind tends to think in symbols (so when you draw an eye, you tend to draw what you think is an eye, not what you see), whilst drawing upside down tends to make you visualise (because you would have to visualise, then mentally rotate it).

3 Likes

Also, for a totally different approach (to “drawing with the right side of the brain”) there’s www.drawabox.com/

3 Likes

A bit strange to post this question here. There are countless YT videos on the subject and further tutorials in the art forums. What are your goals in drawing. Are you perhaps more interested in sketching which aims at quick capture or a fully developed drawing?

As @Niten has explained, a big part of drawing is learning to bypass all the special processing and shortcuts your brain uses to simplify visual information and get a better understanding of what actually is projected onto your eyeball as opposed to what your brain tells you you see.

1 Like

‘Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain’ is propably one of the best ressources for learning how to draw. The author has a homepage with some example self portraits from her students. They show progress after a five day workshop. Take a look here:

When you want to learn how to draw, I highly recommend this book. It’s literally an eye opener.

1 Like

Do you think it’s a good idea to use this method I do an exercise for example that I finish in 1 hour and after 10 minutes of breaks to do the same exercise again with the same time of practice and break?

PS nothing to do with drawing but this trick really works on the long term like learning a lot of vocabulary in the same day and going over it several times in the same day instead of doing spaced repetition?

IMO most anyone can learn to draw but other than being born with a natural talent, I know of no quick path to drawing skill. There are more and less efficient ways to train but nothing is quick. Books like “Drawing On The Right Side…” can be helpful but it’s not enough. You can read all you like about tennis, and it is helpful, but you have to put in the time on the court until you can use what you thing you know. In the process you will likely discover that in your first pass, you had not clearly grasped the principles you were taught and only now, after considerable practice does it become clear.

Anyone can learn to draw, to sing, to speak a new language etc but it requires persistence and time.

1 Like

It’s not too late to join the Inktober drawing challenge!

2 Likes