just want to get started.

Hey hi
I just wanted to ask a few questions to
The more experienced guys in memory techniques…
For the sake of simplicity I am just asking these I no.s
1)what is the main difference between memory palace and linking method (I am just stuck since ages and can’t proceed further this…)
2)I just am not able to understand…
Would pao system or harry lorrayne sirs method of 2 digit no. Would work??as I am
Comfortable with harry lorrayne s?
3) how memory palace can be used to remember anything???
Like as the topic says how should I get started…what is holding me is the limitness of memory palace s on pegs
Pls help…

A memory palace involves imagining a physical place and placing mnemonic images at locations along a journey through that place. If you always travel to the locations in the same order (mentally), you can recall all the memorized facts in order.

So with a memory palace/journey, you’re placing your mnemonics along an ordered set of locations.

Peg System Example

Peg systems are similar, but instead of using ordered locations, you use other kinds of ordered lists. For example, we already know the order of the alphabet: a, b, c, d, e… You can make an image (or peg) from each letter (animals work well).

So, find an animal that starts with each letter like this:

1. A = alligator
  2. B = bear
  3. C = cow
  4. D = duck
  5. E = elephant
  6. etc.

Now you can use those pegs to keep your facts in order.

Here is an example list (from the periodic table of elements) to memorize with a mnemonic image for each one:

1. hydrogen -- water (H2O)
  2. helium -- a helium balloon
  3. lithium -- a battery
  4. beryllium -- a berry
  5. boron -- a boar

Now attach each element image to a peg:

1. Alligator => swimming in water
  2. Bear => flying away with a giant helium balloon
  3. Cow => a battery powered cow
  4. Duck => eating a berry
  5. Elephant => is friends with a boar

Once you do that, you can walk through the alphabet in order, find the animal, see what it’s doing, and then convert the image back into the fact.

So the first letter of the alphabet is “A”.
The “A” peg is “alligator”.
The alligator was swimming in water.
“Water” represents hydrogen.

The second letter of the alphabet is “B”.
The “B” peg is “bear”.
The bear was flying away with a giant helium balloon.
Helium is the second element.

There are different kinds of peg lists.

Memory Journey/Palace Example

Using a memory palace would be similar, but you would put the mnemonic images (like the helium balloon) in locations instead of attached to pegs.

An example memory journey would be on your body. Going from top-to-bottom, here are some example locations for a memory journey:

1. top of head
  2. forehead
  3. eye
  4. nose
  5. mouth
  6. etc.

You can use the same mnemonic images as before:

1. In the first location (top of head) imagine water. Water is splashing on your head.
  2. In the second location (forehead) imagine a helium balloon. I'd picture the balloon tied to my eyelash and lifting me off the ground.
  3. In the third location (eye) imagine a battery. It could be a battery-powered eye, or a battery that is poking you in the eye.
  4. In the fourth location (nose) imagine a berry. The berry is stuck in your nose.
  5. In the fifth location (mouth) imagine a boar. It helps to exaggerate images, so maybe a tiny boar is jumping out of your mouth.

To recall the images, mentally walk through the locations in order, look at the images that are there, and convert them back into elements.

Linking System Example

A linking system is a little different from a memory journey or peg system. With a linking system, you link the images together.

So, using the same images:

1. create an image that connects water to a helium balloon
  2. helium balloon links to lithium battery
  3. battery links to berry
  4. berry links to boar

I think that it’s useful to understand all three systems, because they can be combined. If my examples don’t make sense, let me know, and I could write more examples. :slight_smile:

1 Like