Is this even possible?

I met this high school kid with a 134 IQ who can memorize 23 digits and get up to level 24 on number memory on Human Benchmark in his first and second tries. On the visual test, he got 16 on his first try and 22 on his second try. I highly doubt that this is even possible. Could he be a troll? I have seen others having a hard time reaching level 15 on both of these in months.

I told him to stream a run of the number memory test, and he acted all cocky making circles with his mouse cursor. He got another 24, and he did it all in one go on a stream.

He is actually a middle school student.

Possible, if you use memory techniques, this is relatively easy to do.

A difference of 6 is not typically an error or performance gain really. Again, entirely possible. Maybe he did cheat on this, but really it’s not too difficult to do with techniques. You should have asked him to stream this because typically people do not have very robust mnemonic systems. They instead have them for common things such as digits. So this would have caught him out.

Equally so, cheating is, I suppose, easy to do? You could take a picture if you streamed your screen, or take a screenshot if you streamed your room.

This is because of the type of technique they are using.
Some memory techniques are easy to use/learn for shorter digits, perhaps up to 100 or even 30 and difficult thereafter. Others take more investment and may perhaps handle up to 1000 digits well enough but no different from the first 30.

Is not really relevant. People with supposed IQ of 200 or more clinically of 160, do not have up to 22 digit spans. Similarly some adults do not know memory techniques but some children do and perform better.

2 Likes

He said he grouped the numbers into fours and fives. I can’t do that, so I had to use another method. It’s baffling how some middle school kid can easily beat me if he was not cheating.

A level gain from 16 to 22 is better than, I don’t know, 100 percent of people. It is very difficult to get to 22 on your second try.

Keep in mind that different methods work very differently. If you used a type of pronunciation system, grouping digits into 5 is very sensible. You could also simply use this system for the first 12 digits, then verbalise the rest.

There are a lot of things here. First “his second try or first try” is almost always not true. From 16 to 22 is not a training gain, as much as it is a “I’m doing something different the second time” gain.

Consider this, he states to have jumped from 16 to 22 so now he should be able to get to 30 in another 2 tries, if he doesn’t then this can hardly be a training gain.

I don’t think he used anything special besides grouping the numbers into fours and fives like 23255-24376-… This is pissing me off.

Why do you think he did not use anything special? For all you know he may be trying to get you annoyed by falsifying how he is doing something. Not doing anything special is also difficult to state, you don’t know if he explicitly verbally or visually processed the digits. It’s possible to read them in chunks of 5 then recall the last 8-10 by visualization of the digits.

If he streamed himself doing this, all hands, face, screen then it’s unlikely he cheated.

In the first place why does it make you angry??

No, I find it very unlikely that some middle school kid could be a potential memory world champion with no practice. He only showed the screen. I asked him to make a video showing the keyboard and screen to make sure he wasn’t cheating.

He could take a photo on his phone. Also, a potential memory world champion, is much further away from this.

I’m not sure on the no practice, he must have encountered digits before, so this is hardly no practice.

The world record is 616 digits in 5 minutes.

It says this on the bottom of the benchmark page.
So it is very likely he simply learned one of these.

Being a “middle school kid” has hardly anything to do with it. Some middle school kids, not particularly this one perhaps, do work a lot harder and get a lot better results.

1 Like

What can explain visual memory? It is difficult to get to 22.

My step in memorizing numbers in Human benchmark.

For first 12 digits - I memorize by my natural memory (actually you can say it as technique because in this you have to focus on numbers and try to fastly speak in mind. Not necessary that in which chunk you are memorizing)
Like 6929259124
692-92 59124 (try to speak fastly)

And after 12 digits - I use my number system to memorize.
In the chunks of 4.
And store in memory palace.

2 Likes

I’m still calling this person a massive troll.

If he was even saying the truth, he defeated Nelson Dellis, the 4x USA Memorh Champion, on both tests. I’m not believing this one bit.

A lot of things, but usually this is your own system. It’s possible to do this without any system by simply memorising chunks.

You can adjust it to be compatible with your system, for example, by recalling some squares normally and memorising the rest by perhaps turning corners of particular shapes into digits. When you know where the shape is, it’s definitely easier to get 22 from something like 16.

You can even really just verbally say particular squares to yourself. Think of it like this. The amount of squares you have to remember, increase, but they do not do so by a lot, therefore when you have a verbal span that you can use simultaneously to your visual one with minimal interference, you can turn a 22 board into a 16 one.

Also you could simply recall binary too. The thing with binary is that it’s either 0 or 1 and the squares are either white or black, hence this can make it easier. The world record is for example 48-49 digits in one second.

Some people can memorize a lot of digits with chunking. There was at least one study on someone who could memorize 81 digits in 81 seconds using chunking.

I can’t say anything about whether someone is cheating there, but I wouldn’t underestimate kids. Check out this video: Memorizing a Deck of Cards in 35 Seconds (10 years old)

1 Like