Is anyone here interested in philosophy?

A lot of people now get philosophy from podcasts and audio books. Many people don’t like reading, or don’t have the time, but can digest conversations.

1 Like

I doubt that… did you just shush me?!? is a pretty common expression. I also find the sound more annoying than soothing

1 Like

All sounds can be used in a harsh way, but that is different to the sound itself.

I read in my book yesterday that sh is actually a destructive sound - as in Shiva the destroyer of suffering. You’d only use it when a baby is making a lot of noise and you want that noise to go away.

So if someone shushes you they are trying to silence you and destroy what you’re expressing.

Not really the case though…

I know there is a trema on the ï, so it should be pronounced separately, but that doesn’t mean it’s pronounced a-ie. In fact the sound is really close to eye or I (me/myself) in English. Or since already on the subject of Japanese… like the second syllable of Itai or the first syllable of the Chinese aiyo.

There is also the “cute” form of it for the little ouchie (a boo boo) which is ouille but unlike English the first two letters are pronounced as in YouTube. The au is a diphthong in German which also makes a sound different from “ah”.

Or look at the German Iiiih to show disgust and the English whee to express delight or exuberance. Same sound but not so similar, really… ultimately, those “sounds of exclamations” usually involve almost only vowels (except for expletives like the f-word) and are restricted to just one syllable… and there is only a handful of vowels to go around.

see above

Ouille begins with the oo sound which is a more falling, fading sound and can express/relieve pain or suffering. Like oof in English. The subsequent sounds are modifiers.

Or look at the German Iiiih to show disgust and the English whee to express delight or exuberance.

ee is a more confident and assertive sound. I don’t know how liiih is used in German but if the sound didn’t match their feeling then people would probably pick a word that did.

I am interested in Epistemology. What does it mean to know something.

My thinking is aligned with the Pragmatists who hold that the concept of Truth is of little use and that knowledge should be evaluated in terms of the job at hand. Pascal’s Wager where he basically argues that one should believe what is expedient, is an early example of this approach.

IPA: /uj/

there isn’t that much to modify there really… my point was that the “ah” (or “uh” for all I care) you’ve mentioned was and eye or even and oo (as you say) in the cute form. However, previously you’ve said:

Which these example clearly show is not the case… maybe we can say oftentimes rather than universal, but given the number of vowels that’s just seeing a pattern where there isn’t one.

Iiih in German is the same as yuck in English.

Hey, what’s that book called, so we can discuss on even grounds… I know from Vedic Maths that sometimes they use sutras in ways that help their arguments, etc. Also, what’s true for Sanskrit doesn’t have to hold true for English, let alone the Indo-European or all languages across the board.

Hey, what’s that book called, so we can discuss on even grounds… I know from Vedic Maths that sometimes they use sutras in ways that help their arguments, etc. Also, what’s true for Sanskrit doesn’t have to hold true for English, let alone the Indo-European or all languages across the board.

I’m reading Eurythmy by Marjorie Spock though I believe Eurythmy and Visible Speech by Rudolf Steiner is the main text on this work but I haven’t read it yet.

I think what’s happening is you are focusing on the meaning of words rather than the precise sounds. If you just take the sounds individually and analyse their qualities and effects then their value in language becomes apparent.

Shh has the same effect in India as it does in Peru or Namibia. The action of the sound is naturally occurring and is not the product of culture. Just as 4, 5, 6 are the same in every country regardless of cultural interpretation.

Sanskrit uses sounds deliberately and it is a very important component of Vedic and Tantric philosophy. Other languages seem to use them semi- or un-consciously, though I understand Hebrew also recognises the value of sounds in language but I haven’t studied it.

5 Likes

Hi all,

I read the Pre-Socratics, Theravada Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta along with Biblical “philosophy” of King Solomon’s Ecclesiastes.

Stefos

1 Like

There is an interesting part in Sapiens where the author discusses the idea that wheat domesticated humans and that it wasn’t necessarily a good bargain for the humans at the time. Humans went from easier lives as hunter gatherers to working all day for the benefit of wheat, and wheat went from a plant that wasn’t widely successful to covering large parts of the Earth’s surface. The process took long enough that individual human societies didn’t notice.

2 Likes

For the last few years I’ve read quite a few books on the Stoics and I align with much of what they say. In the past year I’ve also been reading quite a bit on other philosophies as well as Buddhism and Spiritualism, with books such as the Tao Te Ching, some of Eckhart Tolle’s, The Untethered Soul and a few others. One thing I’ve realised is how similar the central theme of most of them are, which is what “Perennial Philosophy” is all about.
For anyone interested in dipping their toe into something such as Stoicism I’d recommend this book:

It covers the main aspects of Stoicism by using humour and does so superbly in my opinion as it makes it much more accessible to people put off by the thought of “philosophy”. It’s also pretty short and can be read in a few hours. A few months ago while on holiday a friend of mine picked up my copy and started to read it and he loved it and yet he’s been a little dismissive of philosophy previously. He enjoyed it so much after finishing it he immediately ordered 2 copies for his children who are in their twenties.

3 Likes

I studied philosophy (Master’s) and will do my PhD too, I guess. I mainly came from philosophy of language and would recommend the Philosophical Investigations by Wittgenstein to everybody interested in that domain. I find it entertaining even, though it is highly unconventional in its form. I work mainly about philosophy of memory at the moment, hence my active participation in memory sports. I can recommend Materie et Memoire by Bergson. It takes some patience I guess, not the easiest read, but a genius theory on how the perception of time is linked to matter and the memory.

1 Like

I’m interested in philosophy because its like “meta everything”. How to think? How to argue? Morals? Is there a god? What is logic? How do I know? What is there to know, what type of knowledge is there? The answer to these question (should) build the basis of everything I do or think! That’s why I’m interested in philosophy, and that is also why I think philosophy, together with psychology, should be tought in schools

2 Likes

While I strongly agree with this, I find the issue with it is that there isn’t a true establishment of a meta everything in the subject as there should be.

Psychology for example, when I was much younger I met a psychologist they asked me to draw each of my parents on paper to demonstrate how I felt about my parents after they split. They then left the room and watched from a glass door to see what I would do while waiting with my other parent.

Since I drew my parents in colours black and red, they interpreted this as me being extremely stressed from the split. They went as far as to say that it was traumatising me from both sides of my family.
In truth, I wasn’t really stressed at all, I felt that red was a colour of ‘love’ rather than hate so I drew one of my parents which I liked more in red. Black I liked and disliked at the same time so It felt neutral and I drew my other parent in black.

Their interpretation went something along the lines of : for small children who’s parents split, there is usually stress. The child is using colours which are not positive or very bright, because they have negative emotions to the parents. Red is the colour of the devil and black is a very negative colour.

When they tried to confirm it with me (why did you…etc), I simply just didn’t answer because I was suspicious, being aware they were watching me from the glass window.

While I like psychology, I do not like these loopholes in reasoning from certified psychologists.

Similarly with philosophy or rather when I am reasoning there are occasional meta steps which I will take. Something along the lines of the answer can’t have anything to do with a consistent application of a pattern from the previous set of information because two of those sets of the exact same information or significant common parts of it do not have sufficient overlaps in their results. This reduces the scope of possible answers and is very helpful. I don’t find the entire theoretic of why and how and what for such meta processes in philosophy or any subject for that matter, (if there is such a subject/field/sub-field/book, please inform me).

While in truth, I believe it should be an established part of philosophy.

3 Likes

It is interesting to me that in addition to other classes, Aristotle and Plato seemed to agree that Geometry was a vital class for teaching their students how to think.

I must be stupid, I did alright in Algebra and almost failed Geometry.

2 Likes

This is definitely philosophical :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing this, made me smile

Philosophy Post Grad here.

As people mentioned before Philosophy is pretty pretty broad. The broadest domain of human knowledge. In fact, every Wikipedia page can be traced back to the Philosophy page (Fun fact).

The fields I am specifically into are, but not limited to, Ethics (and meta-ethics), Philosophy of Mind, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Philosophy of Mathematics, Philosophy of Religion.

What kind of questions are you most interested in? What kind of ideas, or ideas about ideas fascinate you most?

Regards,

Sean

3 Likes

I have a copy of Bertrand Russell’s Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy somewhere in the pile of things next to me, but I haven’t read it yet.

If you haven’t seen it yet, there is a thread where you can post the titles of mind-expanding books: What Are Your Favorite Books That Changed the Way You Think?

It’s a little off-topic, but people here might find this game entertaining:
https://www.thewikigame.com/

Too much time is spent on Geometry in the modern curriculums. This is a hang over from the days when education was a matter of learning the Classics. It’s useful but not to the extent it’s pursued.