IQ Scores Dropping in Developed Countries?

I don’t know much about the background of this, but people here might be interested in reading it.

In a host of leading nations, IQ scores have started to decline.

Though there are legitimate questions about the relationship between IQ and intelligence, and broad recognition that success depends as much on other virtues like grit, IQ tests in use throughout the world today really do seem to capture something meaningful and durable. Decades of research have shown that individual IQ scores predict things such as educational achievement and longevity. More broadly, the average IQ score of a country is linked to economic growth and scientific innovation.

One potential explanation was quasi-eugenic. As in the movie “Idiocracy,” it was suggested that average intelligence is being pulled down because lower-IQ families are having more children (“dysgenic fertility” is the technical term). Alternatively, widening immigration might be bringing less-intelligent newcomers to societies with otherwise higher IQs.

However, a 2018 study of Norway has punctured these theories by showing that IQs are dropping not just across societies but within families. In other words, the issue is not that educated Norwegians are increasingly outnumbered by lower-IQ immigrants or the children of less-educated citizens. Even children born to high-IQ parents are slipping down the IQ ladder.

3 Likes

Interesting issue. The last paragraph you posted is especially interesting. Dropping IQ probably has something to do with these awful phones. (That is my scientific explanation).

1 Like

I can’t remember what study I read, but, it has
at least some empirical support that cellphones make us ‘dumber’, even just the mere presence of our cell phone has this effect.

1 Like

I remember this too but I believe the research along with the support is false. It may be different if people are relying on their devices to make their life easier and as a result not experiencing any training. Just being in the presence of a phone and having it directly target your intelligence seems dubious even more so given the environment of everyone having cellphones. Technology has enhanced human capabilities not pruned them. Reliance is personal choice.

It’s mentioned over here:

1 Like

I’m totally guilty of this lol need to spend less time on facebook. Its not a bad thing but so easy for it to turn brain toxic. I dont post ever, just as all of us end up mindlessly scrolling through

I always was under the impression it was due to less smart people having more kids (big idiocracy fan) We do not have enough numerical input from these opinion articles to make any assumptions though. People misusing technology is probably a part of it. As we have always said technology can make those motivated to do great things greater but also has the sharp handle that distracts those less willing to focus on what is important.

It seems like these studies were done in countries that cast wide and many safety nets. High taxes, free healthcare, less obvious threats to existence in these countries. Not saying a well organized social welfare structure is bad but it takes away the sense of urgency people in countries like the USA have with less society safety nets. Maybe that could be part of it?

The road is paved with good intensions, but not saying we should go full on libertarian, but lack of urgency to survive could be playing a part of this. One would think those with lots of social support would be able to advance society more though without the distractions of primitive survival reflexes but
of course my assumptions are just that , assumptions

thank you Josh for finding some articles…I knew there were some.