Introduce YourselfSebastian, Argentina

(Sebastián) #1

Hello to every member of this amazing topic!

I’m Sebastián, 28 years old, Psychologist, first came to know about the art of memory for the book Moonwalking with Einstein, as a psychologist I found incredible interesting the topic and the way to encode information, i have been using a rough version of the memory palace with success, I have read the starter pdf from the forum, but a want to REALLY deep down in the topic mainly because of my goals:

1. I want to be able to learn all the diagnoses plus all the criteria of psychopathology (40 diagnosis, each with about 15 criteria)
  2. I want to remember the step by step of the multiple treatments with all the details
  3. I Want to remember many definitions of psychopathology, psychology
  4. Also, been able to remember phone numbers, credit card number etc.
  5. Names a faces
  6. Finally, just for fun card memorization and long number (not for competition)

I know that those are really ambitious goals but I am prepared to read and practice 1 hour a day/7 day a week.
Can you please help me with a book/books I need to read, that are specific not just an introduction, plus an idea where should I start.

Thank to everyone!!

2 Likes
(Silvio B.) #2

Welcome :slight_smile:

I started with the book “How to Pass Exams” by Dominic O’Brien. You don’t necessarily need any books, though. You can find tips on almost anything here on the forum. You could also share some specific examples of what you’d like to memorize, so people can help you to find a way to memorize it effectively.

Once you’re familiar with memory palaces and have a number system (Major, PAO or Dominic System for example) you’ll be able to memorize almost anything easily. The more you use it, the easier it will be.

Good luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Josh Cohen) #3

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

I’d start with the free PDF ebook to get an overview of the various mnemonic systems. It has links to additional reading on each topic. If you want to go deeper, there are also over 350 pages of free content in the Memory Techniques Wiki.

If you want to memorize 40 groups of 15 facts, you could create 40 short memory palaces something like in the image below.

If you post the full list of 40 diagnoses with the criteria we could help brainstorm specific examples.

After you have the basics of the method of loci down, see the Memory Palace Tips page for more ideas.

For numbers, see the post and video about how to memorize numbers.

Here’s a link to the Major System (mentioned above). You can find complete systems on the Major System Examples page.

There’s a page about how to memorize names and faces.

You can practice numbers, names, and cards on Memory League. :memoryleague:

Let us know if you have questions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Sebastián) #4

WOW! I’m surprised for the great response and helpful members!

I Read the Free PDF Book, now I will start gathering memory palaces.

Here is an example of what a need to memorize:

As you can see, its fairy complicated, with many specific information I need to encode,for example he codes and numbers, note that this is half the content for 1 psychopatology

Plus this is an example of a definition I need to memorize word by word:

Thanks for the help!!!

2 Likes
(Silvio B.) #5

For the diagnostic criteria I’d try to use a memory palace with a room for all the points from A. to H. The room for B. should have enough space to put all 6 criterias there.

In front of the building, there could be an image that reminds you of the disorder itself. Maybe you know someone who actually had that specific disorder? You could use that person to represent the disorder in general. I do that often when I memorize laws. Some co-workers who work in a specific area of the law or have a specific job, often represent a specific law or sometimes just abstract concepts of the law. Sometimes you just have to set an image to represent something abstract because you probably don’t always have an image that comes to mind instantly (if you do: use what comes up naturally, it usually works best).

Then in the first room I’d put images that represent the information from A. It’s quite hard in the beginning but with training you’ll get better at coming up with images for abstract information.

For example (A.): A depressed person sits in the first room, on the wall you see a calendar where more days than not contain a :frowning_face: that the depressed person has drawn there himself/herself. On the other side of the room you see someone else with binoculars and their own calendar also drawing :frowning_face:. You could see two seasons passing (like leafs falling or snow for example) to remember that it must be for at least 2 years. Or you could imagine your image for the number 2 (for me that would be a swan) who is affected by the seasons changing.

Some things that come up often in diagnostic criteria (for example: “at least” or “more days than not” etc.) could also be turned into images that will always be the same. This way you will already have images prepared for the things that come up often, this will make it much easier in the long run since you build up like a “visual vocabulary”. For example: “contract” for me will always be two people shaking hands. In constitutional rights it’s often “freedom of …” so I use an image of the statue of liberty + the image that represents the rest (like “freedom of coalition” = a koala hanging on a statue of liberty).

You should try to come up with images that make sense to you. They don’t necessarily have to make sense to anyone else, since everyone thinks/memorizes a bit differently.

I never really memorize anything word by word, but you could search the forum for discussions on verbatim memorization, there might be useful tips for that.

I hope my examples make sense to you :slight_smile: You can always ask if you have any more questions.

2 Likes
(Sebastián) #6

Thank you so mucho SilvioB, for thoughts are really helpful, i will start making a vocabulary of many technical language so that its always the same, really appreciate the time you took.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like