Increasing working memory

I thought it would be interesting to consider training working memory as a whole. In general I have thought of some useful approaches that would work if this works at all.

1# of those approaches is less guaranteed to work than the other two but none the less I will state them.

1. Training your general working memory by giving you a wide variation of ‘things’ you would want to remember, by having them not repeat the goal is to stimulate the underlying working memory aspect without introducing your task specific memory. This requires quite a lot of unique data.

2. Task specific working memory training, quite simply it’s proven that we can get better at specific tasks with specific things, so this approach is simply to remember the appropriate chunks to increase your working memory at the task. To make it more general being able to visualise more symbols and letter combinations would be useful. You would be able to think about things in symbols which doesn’t have much of a downside if your memory for it is large. The downside is simply the amount of learning it would require, but it would be interesting if you didn’t have to learn chunks by adding one on top of whatever you had and instead could find some in-between generalisation. Nevertheless it’s not too difficult to raise this by quite a bit especially if dedicated, you could think of it as the rote of digit systems.

I have noticed at least that my working memory seems higher when more frequently recognised words appear so this applies much the same to language, though learning language chunks can be nearly endless, perhaps learning a few words that translate to the rest and learning the translations and their chunks may shorten it. Regardless I am pretty convinced that #2 works.

The above 2 approaches take no memory techniques what so ever but are supposed to induce training. The 2nd one is more guaranteed to work but is also lengthy.

1. My third approach would be using mnemonics, but not in the normal way, in short to quickly store what you want to recall and then recall it without the mnemonics (reinforcing what you are forgetting from the memory palace quickly) then to forget the loci and memory palace and maintain this. There is some more meaning to this, for starters I have realised with the shaper system that when I do see somethings representation inside my memory palace or the other way around the recall to it is nearly instant. Testing this on foreign alphabets has also given me a more structured memory of the letters and symbols that would normally take writing or tracing them with spaced repetition. What I am getting at here is that this can be used to bolster #2 if it doesn’t work on its own. In which case it would require a shaper implementation, while also inducing the forgetting.

I once attempted something similar where I wrote sentences in my memory palace and remembered them then tried to look at all the locations at the same time. Visualising all their meanings in a go was very strenuous but was at higher capacity than you would be able to do normally. I got to around 9 (albeit short) sentences before I was hitting some wall (I combined them one by one into a large paragraph), I’m wondering separately whether increasing the count on this may provide some other general benefits.

I think its possible to add some twists to these to make them more potent e.g ,speed,quantity,efficiency, parallel, but the general idea is there.

What do you guys think, has anyone tried any of these things?

I’m likely to be trying them quite soon, starting with the less time consuming approaches to see if they work as expected.

As for a 'why would you increase your working memory’ : There is a question of whether having more working memory actually has unexpected benefits such as an increasing speed which you can only truly answer if you actually increase your working memory. Then there is the following of arguments(verbal) and the display of information at the same time (visual), which with a memory palace is still sequential and not easily interconnected.

Whether truly significant though easily assumable significant is something you can really find out if you have done it.

Summary of my 3 approaches :
All training based on
general-unique data, task-specific chunks, overloading-difficulty using mnemonics.

3 Likes