Improving Prospective Memory?

Hello, I’m completely new to this forum, so if something like this has been posted elsewhere, I apologize for having missed it.

I am interested in how memory techniques could be used to improve prospective memory, or remembering to remember. This always seems to be the part of memory that people have the most trouble with, and so we rely on external methods to remind ourselves of things (calendars, reminder alarms, etc.)

For me specifically, I’m getting into the idea of lucid dreaming, and I constantly forget to perform reality checks. I’m familiar with the Major system, PAO system, and of course the method of loci. But I’m interested in how these methods, or how other methods that someone would know about, could improve this part of the memory.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

No clue.

But I have used lucid dreaming in the past a lot.

Try drawing a circle on the back of your hand. Every time you see it do a reality check. Or do one every time you enter a doorway. Or any action that’s ritual and habitual. After a while, not long, it’ll stick to your subonscious and youll do it in your dreams as well,.

I have used memory techniques to remember to say something, when I knew I would pass by a certain point, I put an image of what I wanted to say there. And, I was a bit surprised, but it actually worked. When i passed by the point where I put the image, I was like, I wanted to say something here, and I looked at the image and knew what it was. So there’s that.

Another way might be tot ry to connect the number of the hour opf the event to whatever you want to remembr. So imagining four on your watch and adding whatever it was might help. Actually, you’ll probablty remmeber it every time you look at your watch for that day, but wahtever …

TRY THESE methods and tell how it goesl…

There was a post sometwher in lucis dreaming. You can search by upper box in the page typing lucis dreamign.

Batemyn

Sorry about that ^^^^…
I was erm… not myself at that time

It’s not likely that mnemonics are going to help much with prospective memory. That’s a function related to working memory and mnemonics is focused on long term memory.

Once you are aware that you need or want to memorize something then mnemonics can help store and retreive that information, but if the problem is that you’re not remembering to do that, then there’s not really anything that mnemonics can do about that.

Something like Lumosity might help, but it’s just about the opposite of mnemonics.

There are six ways that I know of to improve prospective memory. #1-2 are based on scientific evidence, and the rest is from experience.

1. Implementation Intentions (IIs)
  2. Mental Contrasting with Implementation Intentions (MCII)
    • See woopmylife.org
    • Read “Rethinking Positive Psychology”
    • Get the app “WOOP” (free)
  3. What @Bateman said, use MoL to place a mental cue at a location you’ll visit
  4. Sit down and write out how this particular instance of remembering to remember will connect with your values and overall life goals—what about this gives your life meaning?
  5. Use appreciation as positive reinforcement. Smile to yourself and take a small moment to enjoy every time you remember to remember. (This is a trick to used in concentration-style meditation)
  6. Train your self with an external cue, like a watch that buzzes or beeps, and practice remembering to remember with that cue. Keep it up long enough, and you’ll just do it from habit. (Also, learning how habits work helps with this,… you need a reward)
3 Likes

The following link is only 8 months old, and refers to Lumosity:

I think I have another post in this section saying that Lumosity were fined $2M a few years ago for failing to prove their claims:

Note: The evidence does not prove that Lumosity DOES NOT WORK. On the other hand, the evidence does not prove that Lumosity WORKS.

I suppose the situation is similar to the way that Bill claimed that Bob proved that Don did not obstruct.

BTW: The above link does not mention the fact that many users do believe that Lumosity helps them. However, the psychologists claim that any increase in scores could be at least partially due to the fact that users are becoming SMARTER in their use of the program. In other words, they learn various tricks that they didn’t know earlier - as in any mental exercise.

Hey guys! I want to refresh the topic.

One of my friends told me that he uses a daily memory palace and it helps him in this case. IMO it may work only when you build a habit to ask yourself at least few times during a day “what do I need to do today?”. That’s a trigger to think about our daily palace and images representing things to buy or to do. It may be a game changer in terms of memory improvement without external devices. However, it is still hard to remember things at the proper time.

What’s your strategy? Paying more attention? Using checklists and reminders?

I use “asana.com” for my to-do lists,goal setting and projects. Some of my tasks of todos are repeated on weekly or monthly basis. So,it would be a bit problematic for me to use Memory Palace for this kind of recurring tasks. That is why, I don’t use Memory Palace for todos.

But I use Memory Palace for logging important events of a week. It is kind of like a journal.

Anki helps if it’s school related stuff. Otherwise just reciting how something is related to everything else helps otherwise not sure. Remembering to remember is hard without prompts