I'm new to memory techniques

Am i doing it wrong? I used my house as Mind Palace to memorize the “Periodic Table of Elements” and i also used it to memorize then the “Human body systems”… is that alright or should i use another Palace for the “Human body system”?

If you can remember what you put there, without any confusion, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

I tend to recommend that people don’t do this, just because it can lead to confusion. But if that isn’t an issue for you, then please feel confident about using whatever techniques work for you.

In other words: If it works for you, then it’s right.

Bob

4 Likes

That’s it. Alright i’ll continue with this
Thanks you mr.

1 Like

It sounds alright to me. I tend to use my attached feelings about a topic as an additional sorting method to help me retrieve specific memories. If you have a way which works for you then your way is the right way.

2 Likes

I strongly recommend do not do that because it can lead to confusion and it is dangerous.Try other method.

Am i doing it wrong? I used my house as Mind Palace to memorize the “Periodic Table of Elements” and i also used it to memorize then the “Human body systems”… is that alright or should i use another Palace for the “Human body system”?

Do you have any trouble to differentiate between the two?

I think if you want to use same mind palace there has to be something different about them, and this is your personal choice. Anyway there are a lot of mind palaces that you can use so you are not short on them, you don`t have to restrict your self on using the same mind palace over and over.

I think I see what you are saying, but I was first introduced to the idea of a memory mansion or mind palace as something that could and would expand over time. This introduction came from someone who learned mentalism in the 1920s and 30s.

I’m asking, here, when did it become common practice to add palaces instead of rooms, resulting in a neighborhood of palaces?

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe it’s been a question of adding rooms but, rather, using previously unused rooms. Because the traditional approach to a memory palace is to use an actual structure or journey you know well. So I don’t believe the thinking would be that you just mentally build on a fictional addition when you need one. Instead, you’d add an additional, real structure.

I’ve never heard of anyone (outside of fiction) who had a single memory palace that they used for everything they were memorizing. If that’s been your approach, I’d like to hear more about your experience with it.

Bob

My granduncle insisted it was very important, first, for me to thoroughly learn corresponding images to numbers. I wasn’t even school-aged at that time, but I recognize in the forum resources link many of the rhyming peg list for numbers. As a child, I didn’t understand why these numbers differed from the number images I already knew from nursery-rhymes or jump-rope songs. I am grateful for the early introduction to pegging memories onto lists. I had not heard of multiple mind palaces before I found this forum, but I’m not a professional mentalist and I only memorize for my personal use. I find similarities in the way folks here use memory and in the way I make mental notes. I have a variation of my old childhood home, the same variation that I see in my dreams. Sometimes I use a flash of memory of my arm reaching for whatever I am trying to find, and it links my memory to the memory of the feel of the wooden shelf or cabinet knob where I last touched for placing the “whatever” I am trying to find then one memory links to the next. This is the way I find all of the spices I need to mix for taco seasoning. It isn’t a grand palace, but my memories seem to be housed in one structure.

I guess I was wondering, rather than one, is it quite common to use different places, palaces, loci locations? I wouldn’t know, that’s why I asked.

I would say yes.

For me, I keep every different list or memory challenge I’m doing in a separate “palace” (I really do hate that word when it comes to memory; it’s just a building) or a separate journey: Pi is placed in the park outside my hometown library; Best Picture winners are in my childhood home; the countries of the world are on the campus of my college; etc., etc.

When it’s possible, I try to match the size of my prospective list with the relative size of the location where it’s stored, so I don’t run tight on space and also have a little breathing room to allow for expansion in the future—either through additional entries or additional information about the items I’ve already stored.

Bob

2 Likes

Thank you, this is insight to something that I will be researching further for myself. I have heard it said that some people think differently from others; now, I’m sure of it. In 1971, I only was able to find pi written out to forty digits after the decimal point, but I didn’t use any images or mnemonic devices other than rhythmic speaking (like toe tapping music without the music) and I flat out remembered it as though speaking the sounds of the numbers was speaking the words of poetic prose. I will spend some time reading about neurology and long term versus short term memory and white matter and the hippocampus and heredity.

Thank you for insight into something I didn’t know.

Chris