I'M HOOKED! New member: Chris, San Diego, CA

Hello! A couple of days ago I came across this video Memorizing an ENTIRE Deck of Cards in ONE MINUTE!!. The video shows 4-time memory champion Nelson Dellis showing magician Chris Ramsey how to memorize a shuffled deck of cards.

While I’ve always been skeptical about memory techniques I was highly entertained by the video. After I was finished with that video I was lead to this one Memorizing the NATO Phonetic Alphabet (QUICKLY!). Here Nelson teaches how to memorize the NATO Phonetic Alphabet.

After watching that video I decided to let go of my skepticism and give it a shot. I’ve always wanted to remember the NATO Phonetic Alphabet so I figured why not. After watching the video just once I opened up a note pad on my computer with the intention of coming up with my own images for the NATO alphabet. Without even realizing it I began to write out the entire NATO Alphabet.

After just watching one 11 min video I was able to recall the entire NATO Alphabet with ease. Keep in mind that before the video I probably knew less than 5% of the NATO Alphabet. Words can’t describe how shocked I was.

From there I began to develop my own PAO SYSTEM for the Alphabet. I just finished placing all 26 letter images into my first memory palace and I have ZERO issues remembering the entire journey.

Now I just need to put it into practice.

The lightbulb has completely gone off and I’m completely hooked. I’m looking forward to taking part in the community as I work toward strengthening my memory.

7 Likes

Welcome! I can feel your excitement and with such a great start I can’t wait for what you’ll do next. Thanks a lot for sharing.

1 Like

Nelson does do some really good videos and I’ve gained quite a bit from his book too. Not that he is teaching much that others don’t but he has a great style and delivery. One caveat though, the audible of his book isn’t narrated by him himself but rather by someone else and they manage to turn what should be a fun and exciting book into a sleeping pill. Total passion killer.

1 Like

To be honest, I wouldn’t blame that on the narrator. I felt that way about his book, Remember It, itself—as if he worked with a writer who smoothed out much of the personality and energy that is so engaging in Nelson’s videos. His humor does still come through—but, for me, it often feels forced. I don’t “hear” the Nelson from his videos in the words of his book.

Bob

1 Like