I would like to be able to remember every day that passes

Thanks for sharing and continuing to share your insights and efforts!

The Rio 2016 Olympics have just finished and figure in many of my memory tags for this period.

The same is true of the London 2012 Olympics. China 2008 is a blur lost in the mist as it was before I began this process.

I’ve written a blog post about the memory tags for these events - and also how amazing it is that I know how long four years is between Olympics as I can travel over every intervening day on my mental calendar.

Writing the blog post raised a question: should I add information to old memory tags?

Mo Farah won the 5,000 metres for the second time on 20 August 2016. I remembered watching him win the first time in London, but had to look up the date (11 August 2012). My memory tag for that day was totally unrelated to the Olympics - it was a bike ride.

I’ve added the memory of Mo winning in 2012 to the memory tag. I had the memory, but had not pinned it to the calendar. I make the rules and I’ve decided that is allowed.

What I don’t do is make false memories by creating an image for something I don’t remember, but other information tells me must have happened. I don’t have a clear memory of Mo winning the 10,000 metres in London. Having checked, I now know Super Saturday when he did it (alongside 2 other Gold athletics wins for Team GB) was on 4 August 2012. Again my memory tag is something different. I can’t quite remember if I saw these wins live or later. I was out that evening and suspect I saw the news when I returned. I’m happy to add the fact it was Super Saturday to my memory tag - they often serve for coding useful information - but not a memory of watching the win when I don’t actually remember it.

A proviso to this is whenever I have lost an image in reviewing those pinned to my mental calendar, it has eventually come back to me. If the memory of me watching Mo’s 2012 win in the 10,000 m does come back to me then I am confident I will know it is genuine. That, in itself, will be an interesting development.

The blog post is here:
http://lembransation.blogspot.com/2016/08/remembering-olympics.html

Why I can’t understand …that something called mental calendar ??
can any one explain ?

Hi Badr4sudan,

Thanks for your question. I have covered this in the thread, but you can also find the description on my blog here:
http://lembransation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/my-mental-calendar.html

Basically, I literally visualise a month-per-view calendar with the images pinned to the days of it. In fact, I see these laid out in a line of pages before the year in large flaming numbers to which they relate.

Over time, I have developed pronounced spatial awareness of this calendar and feel like I am stepping from one day to the other as I go through my daily refresh technique, which I find is essential to stop the images from fading. This technique has changed over time, as described in this thread and in my blog.

Hahaha, I love it!
I do it as well with my memory tricks but I’ve never heard it before.

I tried to remember the passing days as well, but overall I didn’t quite succeed…

I used the Wardrobe method, but the conflicts became too big passed the first month.
I planned to make the transition to a memory palace instead of the Wardrobe, but I never took the time :frowning:

I didn’t even try your technique of simply visualizing the Calendar.
I’ve never used calendars much so I figured it wouldn’t work for me, but seeing that you still give updates makes me want to give it a try.

Also,
my first 3 weeks were the best days I had in more then a year.
So it was easy to pick something to remember…
But then I fell back in some serious boring days of daily routine and work, and on top of that I passed the 30 mark, so I had 2 or 3 “15th of the month” and so on…
All that together, I really need to work on it soon if I don’t want to lose my last 3 months!

What you just said might save it for me :

I wished I’d be more aware of what happends in the world each day.
And I’m just too busy with work and all to have memorable events every day. Maybe I’ll just replace My events with some random world event on the days where I didn’t do anything special…

Btw, here’s a few posts I made on Reddit to keep track of my experience with the system.

I’m looking forward on hearing more about your experience!
there’s a few posts on this Thread which I haven’t read yet, I’ll read that as well later ^^

I have wanted to do something like this for a while now, but with a twist.

First of all I have no real need to remember facts of what happened everyday. I keep a journal for that reason, which also functions as a sounding board for me to work out problems. Doing it all in my head is unnecessary.

However, I want to remember personal achievements each day. For a long time I kept a journal of personal achievements for the day, no matter how small and “magic moments”, again, no matter how small. I want to start that up again.

Coming up with an image for the day is easy. For example, it snowed today for the first time this year and my new chessboard arrived, so I visualize unpacking my chesspieces in the snow. How to link that to January 12th seems impossible. I can’t do the calendar method that Lembran does. The images are too similar. I’m not sure how a journey would work, as I would be skipping some days, and I would eventually need 300+ loci.

Anyone have any other ideas for remembering calendar dates without just picturing a calendar? I anticipate wanting to remember 20-25 days out of every month, knowing the date, and remembering these “forever”. Would a memory palace work? A 2017 wing, with a January room, 4 walls become 1 week, with a table in the middle for the 5th week and so on?

Hello,
Two threads may inspire you if you want to use the “art of memory” techniques for this purpose :

Hello everyone,

I’ve found this forum by chance while looking for some information about “remembering one’s day everyday”. After reading about people with hypermnesia and about memory techniques in a psychology course, I thought it should indeed be possible to remember one’s days in details if enough attention and effort is put into it.

What I’ve started doing is a bit different from what is described here, but close enough so that I can ask my questions here I believe. A few days ago I started to spend about half an hour every evening, just before falling asleep, remembering the details of my day, and pinning it to my mental calendar (which I have always had for important dates). I’ve been amazed to realize that most of my day was still there in the evening - that, if I wanted to, I could have spent hours living my day a second time with almost all of its details. After the day review I quickly check back the previous days to see that I can still remember the main events for each date.

The question I have is linked to sleep. I haven’t found any scientific publication about it, or any publication at all for that matter, and this is why I am asking it here because maybe some of you have had similar impressions and would like to share them.

Sleep and REM have been shown to be linked to sleep, and may be some kind of process by which the brain passes memories from the daily buffer to long term memory. What happens when I do these day reviews is that I do indeed get REM (though I’m not sleeping; but this is quite logical if you consider that I am looking at the landscape in my head, in the first person, a bit as if I was in a dream - I am actually looking at everything that was around me during the day, not remembering things through words). But then, after I finish my review, I feel quite nervous. I wonder if it is caused by the quite long intense focusing effort, or if it’s because I’ve “burdened” up my consciousness with too many images and thoughts (a bit like when you’re anxious because you’re thinking about ten things at a time).

Any way, I find it harder to fall asleep because of this nervous feeling (which is not very nice), but then surprisingly I’ve waken up earlier (without alarm clock), and with much more energy than usual. I tend to need about 9 hours of sleep in order to wake up spontaneously and feel that I’ve had enough rest, but in the past few days it was more about 7 hours 30 (which would generally make me quite tired the whole day, but not these days). Again, I don’t know whether this is linked to some other factors in my life or whether this has to do with the fact that the “memory consolidation” process has partly been done before actual sleep.

I know that I’m only starting this experiment and that only time will tell what effects are caused by the memory review, but I was wondering if any of you has experienced something similar. Also, because it made me feel nervous, I’ve considered dropping the experiment completely, thinking that maybe this was something not so healthy and that the purpose of sleep might be precisely to dump the non-important details and keep only the most important things available in memory, process against which I’m going with my experiment.

The idea of remembering only one image seems less challenging, and I will try that (one or a few images). But if any of you has something to share about feeling nervous after a few minutes of intense consolidation, or about the link with sleep, I’d be happy to read it !

Actually, in pratique, a simple way to do it is to write a journal like a game. Every night you have to write answering the question " What am I did today" so in the next day you gonna read it and it improves your memory over time you are just telling to your mind what’s important.

Here I’m blogging about it actually so you want to read some the e-book http://aprendafalaringles.com.br/best-books-on-memory-improving/

Thanks for the comments. I’ve just written a blog about adding in a new review of past days to my refresh technique that stops the memory tags fading on my mental calendar. Each morning I recall the tag for the same date for each of the past five years, starting in 2012, plus the following day. I missed the birthday of a friend’s child recently so want to remember the tags for each of the past 5 years. If I had been doing this I would have remembered his call to tell me his daughter had been born.

I don’t see how this would be possible without a mental calendar to walk over. I can easily locate the days from one year to the next. There are tags on 1894 days from when I started to today. Maybe more experienced memory practitioners than I could handle such a long chain of events in a memory palace setting, but for me the calendars work fine.

I don’t know that it has affected my sleep at all. Generally it is very calming to do my final review as I drift off to sleep, running through just the past month, so it helps me relax. Other than that, I’m not sure.

However, as I wrote in my blog today, there are other effects that are only becoming apparent now. The person I was five years ago is not the person I am now. I travel back not only through time and space when reviewing past days, but through the layers that construct me. I’m not a stranger to myself, but the younger version is different.

On the monthly cycle of these visits across the years, I see my younger self recede, yet it is my present self that is moving forward. The past is set in stone. It is the present me that has changed and with it my perspective on the past.

Here’s the blog: http://lembransation.blogspot.com/2017/02/across-years.html

1 Like

I’m going to resurrect this thread again because it’s so fascinating and I hope others will take the time to read it. I just read it for the first time a few days ago, and then read some of your blog posts Lembran.

I’m wondering if your mental calendar looks something like this continuous calendar app on the web where the months connect with each other like puzzle pieces? It seems this arrangement would help with continuity. From what I read of your posts it sounds like you used to have all the monthly calendars on a rolling drum but now they are all on a flat plane extending off into the horizon.

I would like to do something similar to what you’ve done but not sure yet if I should keep everything in one plane or separate it more for easier indexing in the mind. Regardless the fact that you’ve remembered something from 6 years of consecutive days is very inspiring, not only to do something similar but also to tackle other large-scale memory projects. Thanks!

Just checking in to say the experiment continues.

I passed the six-year mark on 17 December 2017. I’ve also had to change the way I refresh the images pinned to my mental calendar as memory tags.

There’s an update here:

http://lembransation.blogspot.com/2018/01/six-years-later.html

1 Like

first time I have noticed this thread. A wonderful use of mnemonics in real life. Well done.

Very interesting experiment! Here is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do! LOL…

https://cloudtweaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cloud-computing-david-fletcher.jpg

I’m now at 2300 days according to the counter on my blog: https://lembransation.blogspot.com

As mentioned above, I had to change the approach I use for refreshing the images pinned to my mental calendar. Rather than recalling selected days from each week and month, I moved to recalling the days sequentially. In some ways this is easier because of the associations between events and places.

However, I’ve noticed that since doing this I’ve lost the spatial awareness of the days on my mental calendar for the more recent days. Accordingly, I’ve reintroduced passing a two-day window over each week for the past six months. Stepping from week to week on the calendar in my mind’s eye more firmly fixes the image to the day on calendar, helping me to remember it in isolation from the surrounding days.

This spatial awareness is an important additional tool to aid my recall. I guess it is similar to walking through a memory palace.

Amazing work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is super cool, congrats. I am trying this too as of January this year (new years resolution). It has been difficult to reshape the system as I find the inefficiencies as the scale grows and grows, but I think I have something now that will last at least the year, and we’ll cross the bridge of adding an additional year when we get to it. ; ) I am curious: roughly how much time and energy do you have to put into this daily to keep it up? Is it quite the effort or do you have it down from so much practice? Also, how do you test yourself to when you get to 7 years worth of days? Keep up the work, it’s inspiring to know someone else is trying this and has gone so far!

Just checking in to say this process continues as I approach the 7-year anniversary of remembering every day that passes.

https://lembransation.blogspot.com/2018/12/just-no-stopping.html

6 Likes

Congrats on 7 years! That is a very commendable length of time to do what you’re doing. To anyone who hasn’t seen this thread before, check out Lembran’s blog, it’s fascinating.

1 Like

Do first we need to remember every date and day ?

1 Like